Portuguese Irregular Verbs

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingNetstationwing of Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on 10/31/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingNetstationwing from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, October 31, 2005
Is there anything funny about German professors? This novel features the endless mishaps of the inimitable Professor Dr Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld.

The synopsis above would appear to damn the book with faint praise. In fact I found it funny, not in a laugh out loud way like a Pratchett or Moore, but in a wry grin fashion. One instance where the marvellous German word, schadenfreude, can be safely used to describe the feeling left by this book and the others in the trilogy. They are all off on a ray now, and I hope the new readers will enjoy them as much as I did.

The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs

At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances.

Journal Entry 2 by wingNetstationwing from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, October 31, 2005
Finally off to Bookgroupman, apologies for the delay, together with the other two books in this trilogy which are all travelling together as a ray:

The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs

At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances

Then on to

Wlydetwo
Cloggy

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Arrived safe and sound and pristine. I've read a few heavyweights recently so this will be a nice light and irreverent break :)

(13/11) Finished - review to follow

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, November 14, 2005
...in which we meet Professor Dr Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld and his long-suffering colleagues at the Regensburg University, Unterholzer & Prinzel, for the first time; and learn a little about his education and the ‘renowned and monumental work’ on romance philology, ‘Portuguese Irregular Verbs’; his unrequited love (yes there is some space left alongside his massive self-love!); and vaguely unsuccessful & low-key visits to Goa where he meets a holyman, Venice where there isn’t a death, Ireland where he learns some...erm...rich gaelic language, and so it goes on. If possible I found this slightly weaker that the sequel, which I read first (see .../journal/2682451). But bear with it, because these short gentle farces take a more sinister and irreverently funny turn in the second book...

ps. i've just noticed, the chapters get progressively bigger as the series moves on. Curious?

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan at on Saturday, December 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (12/2/2005 UTC) at

On its way to wyldetwo with the second in the series...no.3 to follow later :)

Journal Entry 6 by wyldetwo from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, December 05, 2005
Received in the post this morning, thanks BookGroupMan!

Journal Entry 7 by wyldetwo from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, December 29, 2005
A nice light book which I managed to finish during a lazy Boxing Day afternoon. Very different from the Mma Ramotswe series which I have just finished.

I've been trying to think who the professor most reminded me of and I have decided it is Pooter out of Diary of a Nobody!

Thanks for sharing, Steve

Journal Entry 8 by wyldetwo from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 07, 2006
Finally sent this on to cloggy today, sorry for the delay but it got tidied away when we had a lot of visitors for New Year!

Journal Entry 9 by cloggy from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Arrived this morning. Thanks Wyldetwo and Netstation for sharing.
I have a couple of bookring books to go before getting to this one, but I'll read it soon.

Journal Entry 10 by cloggy from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 20, 2006
Loved it. The sheer pointlesness of Prof Dr von Igelfeld's research - who could possibly be interested in a 1200 page book about Portugese Irregular Verbs - tickled me.

A lot of my friends are scientists, not philologists I hasten to add, and I can just imagine them with a book of the rules of tennis, trying to figure out how to play the game.

Am looking forward to the next two.

Journal Entry 11 by cloggy at London in Given to a friend, Friend -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/14/2006 UTC) at London in Given to a friend, Friend -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, June 19, 2006
finished it and will pass it on to a friend

CAUGHT IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM