The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 057120175x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Antof9 of Lakewood, Colorado USA on 10/31/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Monday, October 31, 2005
I love finding good-condition books at the thrift store for not much money!

Journal Entry 2 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Thursday, May 25, 2006
Lending this to a friend. I think it's the book we were discussing recently!

Journal Entry 3 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Friday, April 16, 2010
URGH! I just had half of a long journal entry written, and the computer (or my palm on the track pad) wiped it out!

It started with a post I made on Facebook when I started this book:
(Ant) is about 80 pages into "The Poisonwood Bible", and so far thinks it's a less interesting, offensive-on-multiple-levels version of "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents".

And then I copied some of the 25 comments to that status update, noting the extremes in answers. People seemed to have loved or hated it whereas I was just smack in the middle.

In trying to explain what was offensive, I wrote: Not sure I want to finish it. I liked the other book of hers that I read, but so far ... it's full of the kind of people I truly dislike and don't want representing me (as an American or a Christian) in other countries or to other people. Blech.

It was definitely interesting (one of my friends commented on how beautifully written it was), and it kept my interest. But in describing it to the friend I'm handing it to as she gets on a plane, I said the first section was about how offensive these American Christians were, and there was a small bit in the first third where the daughters started learning something about the country and culture they were in (and how offensive their dad was), and then the last two thirds were basically sad and depressing and without hope, something I prefer at the end of my books.

So I didn't love it and I didn't hate it and it was well written. Hmmm ...

I'm handing it to a friend who just returned from Kuria, Kenya (and goes back in a few weeks). In discussing it, she asked if I'd read , which I did a couple of years ago and never wrote a book review of. Now I think I might need to read it again so I can!

Anyway, I've now read it, and it can go out the door into the world to make new friends :)

I just remembered two quotes from this book I posted on Twitter for entertainment value only:

"All the evildoers in the Bible seem spectacularly dumb." -Barbara Kingsolver, "The Poisonwood Bible"

"Kissing looks like too much of somebody else's dental hygiene if you ask me." -Barbara Kingsolver, "The Poisonwood Bible"