The Birth of Venus

by Sarah Dunant | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ajsmom of Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on 10/30/2005
Journal Entry 1 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, October 30, 2005
From the back:

Alessandra Cecchi is not quite fifteen when her father, a prosperous cloth merchant, brings a young painter back from northern Europe to decorate the family chapel in their Florentine palazzo. A child of the Renaissance, with a precocious mind and a talent for drawing, Alessandra is intoxicated by his talent. As Medici Florence is threatened by the hellfire of the monk Savonarola, the painter and his dazzling art exert an ever more powerful and erotic pull.

Journal Entry 2 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, November 08, 2005
International Book-Ray (thanks tabby-stripes)

1. On receipt of the book please make a journal entry.

2. Please try to read the book within 4 weeks but if you can't finish it in that time please PM me and also the next person on the list to let us know.

3. When you've finished the book make a journal entry on what you thought of it and then PM the next person on the list for their address.

These are the orderly participants: book sent 11/15/05:

jessicaloveyou
amberC

...
back to me

Latecomers welcome, allowing for any shipping restrictions!

Journal Entry 3 by ajsmom at Sent by mail in A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (11/15/2005 UTC) at Sent by mail in A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent to dicentragirl, the first person in the bookring!

Journal Entry 4 by dicentragirl from Leavenworth, Washington USA on Sunday, November 20, 2005
Yay! It is here! This is my favorite artistic era. I have one other bookring book (in progress) to finish, but this is next on the list!

Thanks ajsmom for hosting.

Journal Entry 5 by dicentragirl from Leavenworth, Washington USA on Friday, December 16, 2005
Did I never make a journal entry after I read this?! Shame on me! I've already sent the book off to tobysrus.

The book was fantastic! I think if I knew my history a little bit better I would have enjoyed it even more. Alessandra fascinated me, but her behaviour sometimes puzzled me. Lots of surprise twists in the plot, which just made me want to keep reading. Good stuff! :)

Journal Entry 6 by tobysrus from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, December 18, 2005
Arrived in the mail late yesterday. Book looks great and I look forward to reading it. Should be able to read over the Christmas holiday. Thanks for the great postcard too, dicentragirl!

Journal Entry 7 by tobysrus from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, January 05, 2006
WOW! What a great way to start off the new year! I loved this book! I read it in 3 evenings after work. I liked the first person perspective and thought the plot, as well as the twists, were imaginative and creative. Definitely a "must read" I will recommend to friends.

I have e-mailed starrling84 for her address and will drop this in the mail to her as soon as I get it. Thanks ajsmom for hosting this terrific ring!!

Journal Entry 8 by tobysrus at Post Office in By Mail, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 07, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (1/7/2006 UTC) at Post Office in By Mail, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

On its way to starrling84! Be on the lookout for it!

Journal Entry 9 by starrling84 from Winchester, Virginia USA on Friday, January 13, 2006
Hey guys! The book is here and I will get started on it right now! It looks good and I'm sure it will be since everyone seems to have really liked it so far. I'll post again when I've finished it. :o)

Thanks again for hosting this great Ring!

Journal Entry 10 by starrling84 from Winchester, Virginia USA on Thursday, February 23, 2006
Hey all! I've finished it finally! I know I took forever and I'm sorry. I've contacted Yankeedaddy1912 for their address so as soon I receive a reply I'll get it out to them.

As for the book... I really liked it! I loved reading about the time period. The author was very descriptive and just wrote beautifully. The story itself was very interesting in the way it raised questions about religion and how much we should let it run our lives. And Alessandra was a very likable and identifiable character. She had a great passion for life and an abilitly to understand and take on its obsticals with bravery and more grace than she gave herself credit for. I highly recommend this book!

Released 13 yrs ago (3/2/2006 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, RABCK in Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Sent to yankeedaddy1912 via Media Mail. It should arrive soon! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, May 09, 2006
This book doesn't seem to be leaving yankeedaddy's possession, so the ring has been revived by sgscarcliff. The journal entry is here:

New Birth of Venus

I will be getting in touch with czersk and hopefully this ring will get moving again!

Journal Entry 13 by lostbookisland on Wednesday, June 20, 2007
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.