The Importance of Being Earnest (Penguin Popular Classics)

by Oscar Wilde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by samulli of Weimar, Thüringen Germany on 10/28/2005
Journal Entry 1 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Friday, October 28, 2005
Who wouldn’t love Oscar Wilde?
I have to admit I just bought this book because I saw the movie of the same name and found it hilarious. But as usual the book is even better. Funny, witty and delightful – and above all it is a book that travels lightly (it’s really quite small).
So, to let other people join in the fun I decided to make a bookring out of it together with another classic by Oscar Wilde: “A woman of no importance” (not quite so funny but just as good anyway). More participants always welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Saturday, November 19, 2005
This book is together with "A woman of no importance" on its way to the following people:

CatharinaL (Finland)
Shimmy-crazy (UK)
-Psyche- (USA)

I hope you all have a lot of fun with it!

Journal Entry 3 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, November 21, 2005
The books arrived today--thanks for sending, samulli!

This was a quick and fun read. The thing that always strikes me about Wilde is his incredible modernity and sharpness. No doubt Wilde was 100 years ahead of his time; it goes without saying that this would all be very good and sharp writing even if published today. Everything in the play was a perfect treat; I love the 'fencing' dialogues and witty punchlines thrown in, and the social commentary disguised as comedy talk is just hilarious.

JACK: Well, you've no right whatsoever to Bunbury here.
ALGERNON: That is absurd. One has a right to Bunbury anywhere one chooses. Every serious Bunburyist knows that.

I'll wrap these books up and send to the next person on the list by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 4 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, November 24, 2005
Sent to Shimmy-crazy.

Journal Entry 5 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, November 28, 2005
Quite a light-hearted amusing read. Not much plot but lots of social comentry.

Sent on to -Psyche- 12/12/05

Journal Entry 6 by -Psyche- on Saturday, December 17, 2005
Has arrived! Ironic as I just picked up the film version from the library and this afternoon, the book was on my porch. :) I read this in college, so I look forward to a re-read from a new perspective (as a drama director at a high school).

Journal Entry 7 by -Psyche- at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 05, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (4/5/2007 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Here is a continuation of the bookray... to the next reader: please feel free to continue the ray, wild release it, give it to a friend, but keep the adventures moving! Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by ScarlettWannaB from Portland, Oregon USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Just got the book a few days ago will be reading soon.

Journal Entry 9 by ScarlettWannaB from Portland, Oregon USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Done with book but I haven't heard from anyone about sending this one on.