Sophie's World : A Novel About the History of Philosophy

by Jostein Gaarder, Paulette Moller | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by aussieangel2 of Dayton, Western Australia Australia on 10/27/2005
Journal Entry 1 by aussieangel2 from Dayton, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, October 27, 2005
Looking into her mailbox one day, a fourteen-year-old Norwegian Schoolgirl called Sophie Amundsen finds two surprisng peices of paper. On them are written the questions: 'Who are you?' and 'Where does teh world come from?'

The writer is an enigmatic philosopher called Albert Knox, and his two teasing questions are the beginning of an extraordinary tour through the history of Western Philosophy from the pre-Socratics to Sartre. In a series of brilliantly entertaining letters, and then in person (with his dog, Hermes), Albert Knox opens Sophie's enquiring mind to the fundamental questions that philosophers have been asking since the dawn of civilisation.

But as soon as Sophie begins to find her feet in this dazzling, exciting new world, she and Albert find themselves caught up in a plot which is itself a most perplexing philosophical conundrum....

Journal Entry 2 by aussieangel2 at Bookrelay in Bookrelay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 05, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/5/2006 UTC) at Bookrelay in Bookrelay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Posting to Melanie2474 - accepted 3kg Bookbag Bookrelay.

Journal Entry 3 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, February 26, 2006
Sounds very interesting... thanks for sending me this.

Edited 17 September 2010: Started this one on Monday and am struggling to get into it, however I'll perservere a little longer as it's intriguing and a number of friends (non-BC people) have said they enjoyed reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by Melanie2474 at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, September 20, 2010
Struggling to get into this one so am putting it aside. If someone wants it before I give it another chance you are more than welcome to it.

Journal Entry 5 by Melanie2474 at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/11/2011 UTC) at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Released 4 mos ago (1/18/2019 UTC) at HOTA - Home of the Arts Gold Coast (Arts Centre) in Gold Coast, Queensland Australia

Thanks for sharing but I'm clearing books that have been languishing on my shelves unread for too long!
Cover art is different to that shown. Leaving around the foyer / terrace areas of HOTA.
To the finder: I hope you enjoy the book and let us know your thoughts / plans for it! :)