Diary of a Somebody

Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 10/26/2005
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 26, 2005
From the cover; 'This is his diary. It curiously resembles that classic of ninety years ago, The Diary of a Nobody. Especially in one respect: Simon never sees the joke.'

(18/12/11) This was OK, not very funny, but then I found the 'original' mixed as well - i'm sure fans will love the parallels of this homage...Simon Crisp is Charles Pooter, but bought into the 1970's. He is pathetic in his seriousness and pomposity, lack of self awareness, prejudice and general naivety. Maybe the language and middle-class mores didn't quite work in the period (ed. Adrian Mole is better at capturing the 80's and beyond) because I could neither laugh at or with Crisp, which is surely the point of a comic novel? Anyhoo, I know someone who might like this, for curiosity value...

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, January 13, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/14/2012 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

I'm taking this along to the Ipswich meet-up tomorrow to share, or add to the bookshelf in Coffee Link. If you find this book (and have made it this far to the interweb), then welcome to bookcrossing :)