A Home at the End of the World

Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on 10/24/2005
Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, October 24, 2005
Abridged on 6 CDs, approx. 7.5 hours

From Publishers Weekly
Two very different boys are drawn together by their oppressive home lives and by a connection that is both brotherly and sexual in this superb audio adaptation of Cunningham's vivid coming-of-age tale. Clevelanders Bobby Morrow and Jonathan Glover become childhood friends in the 1960s, and their friendship persists well into the '80s, when first Jonathan and then Bobby moves to New York City. There they meet aging hippie Clare, who imposes her own needs upon the two men. Clare, read with unflappable clarity by Van Dyck, attempts to build a normal life for herself using Bobby to become pregnant and Jonathan as emotional support. But as Jonathan's perceptive mother, Alice, warns her son, the unusual family they're creating won't last. Actors Farrell and Roberts—who play Bobby and Jonathan respectively in the Warner Brothers motion picture—fill the same roles here, and both deliver moving, understated performances. Although some listeners will wish they could soak up this absorbing story all in one sitting, the narrators' well-paced readings force the listener to sit back and appreciate the intricacy and skill of Cunningham's exquisite prose.

Journal Entry 2 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Thursday, September 28, 2006
I really enjoyed this book. I was a little afraid because I couldn't even finish listening to The Hours.

Journal Entry 3 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Sent off to catwoman who picked it up out of the Audio Virtual Book Box over on the book relays

Journal Entry 4 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Received in the mail today. Thanks for sharing this set with me. :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, January 16, 2007
The characters were well-portrayed. The author does a good job of making these dysfunctional people have relationships with each other that work (somehow).

Released 12 yrs ago (4/21/2007 UTC) at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to tranq.

Journal Entry 7 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Monday, April 30, 2007
Received from Catwoman for the audio VBB on bookobsessed.com.

Journal Entry 8 by tranq1 at By mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 22, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (10/23/2007 UTC) at By mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Putting in the CD ONLY Audio Book Box.

Journal Entry 9 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Sunday, January 13, 2008
Pulled this out of booklady331's CD-only Audio Bookbox. Plan to listen to soon.

Journal Entry 10 by BigJohnLefty at Bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 24, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/24/2008 UTC) at Bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting this into Carlissa's CD-only AudioBookBox.

Journal Entry 11 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, July 28, 2008
Took this out of Carlissa's Audio BookBox.

I keep seeing this movie appearing on LOGO but haven't seen it yet (always come in around the middle and I like watching properly). So I'm thrilled to see this on audio- I don't even mind that it's abridged because the cast recording sounds fantastic! Mmm Colin Farrell.

It looks like this baby's certainly made the rounds but not a lot of journal entries with reviews made. So I'm excited to give this one a proper review. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Gorgeous.

This is the story of three (well, four, five, six really) characters finding their ways in the world and with each other. They form strong bonds that they're constantly reevaluating and testing as they grow as people. It's like a whole string of observations about what it's like to be a person and live the way you want to live (conventional or un) but not knowing if that's how you'd be happiest living. They love each other on so many levels that it's almost as though they find it hard to love each other on the most basic level and trust that they're being loved back. It's really fascinating getting inside their heads and seeing the world.

I laughed, I cried, I was on the edge of my seat, and I was yelling at the CD player when things gave a twist in a direction I didn't like. The characters didn't behave the way I would, which is why I think I liked getting to know them so much- that unpredictability.

It was abridged, but I didn't notice anything lacking because of that (I guess some parts were a little quick- would have liked more about Erik/Eric to make the last disc or two more powerful, maybe). The emotions throughout were raw and vivid, and the character development (I'm SUCH a character person) was just beautiful to take in. I loved that there were different readers and different points of view to jump around among. Colin Farrell and Dallas Roberts did an exceptional job with their segments, especially. I already have the movie as #1 in my Blockbuster queue; can't wait to watch what I've just read/listened to.

Journal Entry 13 by wingKateKintailwing at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 12, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (12/13/2010 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Adding this to indygo88's CD Audio Bookbox. I hope it's enjoyed!

I'm a member of the BookCrossing meet-up group, BCinDC. Have you heard we're having a convention in the Washington, D.C. area in April? All book lovers are invited to celebrate the 10th birthday of BookCrossing at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention!

Journal Entry 14 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, March 09, 2011
I'm debating whether or not to keep this one. Reading the back cover's description of "Clare, a veteran of the city's erotic wars" makes me think...what?

Journal Entry 15 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Started listening today.

Got bored by the constant state of high the boys seemed to be aiming for at the end of Disk 1, so I'll let this book travel on to someone else who will enjoy it more.

Journal Entry 16 by wingk00kaburrawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/1/2011 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Added to BigJohnLefty's Another Audiobookbox !

Journal Entry 17 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Friday, September 30, 2011
Well guess I'm bad. I never journaled this audiobook when I picked it out of BigJohnLefty's Another Bookbox. Anyway, just finished listening to this story. This is the second Michael Cunningham book I've experienced. The first was By Nightfall. I enjoyed this one even better. Cunningham does such a good job with character development and emotions. It's not a story of high action but a story that describes the complicated relationships between three main characters, one lover and several family members. Through Jonathon, Bobby and Claire's narration, the author tells a tale of their life, love, sexuality and friendship. It is like looking through each of the characters' private diary as they share their personal feelings. I thought it a wonderful, emotional story and will have to check out the movie.

Journal Entry 18 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, February 09, 2012
Putting this into BigJohnLefty's Another Audiobookbox. Hope whoever picks this out of the box enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 19 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2012
This one sounds very interesting and I like multi-cast reads. So I am taking it out of Big John Lefty's Another Audiobook box.

Journal Entry 20 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Saturday, September 22, 2012
Well read with the different voices and a nice little story of the three people living unconventionally together.
While the story is as such interesting, I had difficulties to relate to any of the persons in the book and felt more standing outside then being drawn into the book. Probably the story is just not mine and that's why I am rating this with a 6.

Journal Entry 21 by weiterferne at Post Office in Houston, Texas USA on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (10/6/2012 UTC) at Post Office in Houston, Texas USA

Released to Germany for the 2012 September audiobook sweepstake. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Tuesday, October 30, 2012
This arrived today - I'm the decoy :-)
I enjoyed Cunningham's The Hours, so I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks a lot, weiterferne!

Journal Entry 23 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, December 29, 2012
Quite different from The Hours, but brilliant too. I really enjoyed listening to this audiobook - well written and well read, good characterisations, great story-telling.

Journal Entry 24 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Friday, February 01, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (2/1/2013 UTC) at Bremen, Bremen Germany

2013 February Audiobook Sweepstake
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 25 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, February 09, 2013
I always a sucker for a coming-of-age tale, and this sounds like a good one. It also sounds like one best saved for a long trip rather than short bursts around town, Fortunately, I have a couple coming up in the not too distant future.

Thanks again, Apolonia, for this book, and everything in your awesome package!!!

Journal Entry 26 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, November 23, 2013
oh, I've done it again. I listened to this last march, on my drive up to Yellowstone....and never got around to journalling when I returned. As I recall, I enjoyed it, but it didn't knock my socks off. I can remember that parts I really liked and others not. But too long ago....was it characters, was it one of the readers, what was it?

Reserving now for iwillrejoice's audio vbb

Journal Entry 27 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (1/25/2014 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

on it's way to tostle, who selected it from the audio vbb

Journal Entry 28 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, February 08, 2014
I received this book! Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 29 by brenter at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, March 16, 2014
I really enjoyed listening to this book. It was very well read!

Journal Entry 30 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, May 17, 2014
I am reserving this book for iwillrejoice's Audiobook VBB.

Journal Entry 31 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, May 17, 2014
I am reserving this book for iwillrejoice's Audiobook VBB.

Journal Entry 32 by tostle at Lawton, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, March 29, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (3/29/2015 UTC) at Lawton, Oklahoma USA

Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 33 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Monday, April 06, 2015
Thanks all!

Journal Entry 34 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Friday, September 04, 2015
A melancholy story about a love triangle and a few satellite friends and family members. The plot lacks drama, but is made interesting by first-person narratives that are unusually introspective and beautifully detailed. Unfortunately, all of the characters have similar "voices", despite being described on the jacket as very different kinds of people. I did like the bulk of the story, though I was confused by the end -- not really sure if I missed something or if there actually was no climax. Anyway, I think my favorite part was listening to Dallas Roberts and Colin Farrell do some of the narration, presumably reprising their roles from the movie?

Journal Entry 35 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, January 14, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (1/14/2016 UTC) at Meers, Oklahoma USA

One of my contributions to Big John Lefty's Other AudioBookBox, round 1

Journal Entry 36 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Saturday, June 11, 2016
taking out of BigJohnLefty's Other Audio Bookbox