The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming

by Masanobu Fukuoka | Home & Garden |
Registered by martinburo of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 10/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by martinburo from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, October 22, 2005
What I particularly admired about this book is how it flows. It begins very simply with the question: what is the easiest way to grow rice and winter grain? Then, it naturally progresses to looking at agriCulture as a number of interconnected processes. By the end it is almost pure philosophy, but thanks to having its roots in natural farming, it is still very close to everyday experience (that doesn't sound quite right). Even though I agree with him that science will never allow us to find the truth, or even to come closer to it in any meaningful way, I haven't convinced myself yet that it inherently moves us in the wrong direction.
Peter Matthiessen in the preface: "[Modern technologies] are labor-saving only in the narrowest sense, since gaining one's livelyhood in the new ways, which are competitive rather than communal, demands more time."
"An object seen in isolation from the whole is not the real thing."
"A problem cannot be solved by people who are concerned with only one or another of its parts."
"Natural farming [...] proceeds from the conviction that if the individual temporarily abandons human will and so allows himself to be guided by nature, nature responds by providing everything."
I gave this book to a friend.

Journal Entry 2 by Beable at Colos, Beja Portugal on Friday, July 15, 2011
I found this book in the students' library of the Peace Research Center Tamera (www.tamera.org), which is constituted mainly of donations and books that are left behind by short-term guests that are hard to track after they leave. I do not know who brought this book here. I have just started reading it, and I think I'll return it to the library once I'm done... it seems pretty fitting to Tamera and to this library in particular. I guess this is a particular case of a book that has really found where it belongs :o)