The Golden Key

by Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Roberson, Kate Elliott | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by akg of Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on 10/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 22, 2005
I bought this while on honeymoon in Canada. I took 5 books out with me and read and released them all, fortunately we found ABC Book and Comic Emporium in Vancouver and managed to buy some additional ones.

I read another Melanie Rawn book earlier in the year so was interested to try another.

It was an interesting read, but difficult at times.

Journal Entry 2 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Oh I really need to say a little bit more in my review in the previous journal entry as the book deserved more than that. I will try and remember.

Posted to wistfuldragon today

Journal Entry 3 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 17, 2005
This looks great - if a little daunting, size wise! Thanks, akg!

Journal Entry 4 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, November 25, 2005
Fantastic book! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and although it skipped about a fair bit, this was due to the nature of the story, and so no criticism. Although it could have expanded into a series in order to fill in the gaps, I reckon that would have dilluted the excellent plot too much. The wrapping up at the end was very satisfying, although I got the impression the authors were very tired by then - no wonder!
Rillaith has expressed an interest in this book, so it already has a destination, hence me marking it reserved.

Journal Entry 5 by Rillaith from Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 01, 2005
Collected it at lunch in the Clarence with WistfulDragon and Rivercassini today. WD was reading it at lunch last week and said how enjoyable it was, so I asked to read it next!

Journal Entry 6 by Rillaith at from Availables in RABCK, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 04, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (3/6/2006 UTC) at from Availables in RABCK, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Being sent to Heathwitch to read before I can get round to it.

Journal Entry 7 by heathwitch from Glossop, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Received today. I'll get to this as soon as I can :)

Journal Entry 8 by heathwitch from Glossop, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 17, 2008
This was an amazing book. I'm no stranger to any of the authors -- having swallowed Rawn's "Dragon" series, gone goo-goo over Elliott's recent "Spirit Gate" and loving Roberson's "Out of Avalon" -- so I was very interested in seeing what these three fine writers could come up with on a collaboration. I was not disappointed.

The book itself covers generations of the same family, and the recording of important events via the medium of painting. Only male artists are allowed to paint the actual work of art, as their gift is viewed as the most "pure", although both men and women with some artists' gift are allowed to be "copiers", so that copies of the main artwork can be made and sent to other important families and councils. However, several of the main artists have a terrifying, powerful gift -- one which can bend space, time and the willpower of others ... A gift which corrupts and imprisons even as it liberates.

Separated into three sections (one per author), this novel tracks multiple characters within the family -- some several hundred years apart -- as the gift corrupts a certain artist and his actions are laid bare. Very Mediterranean in its world-building, this soaring epic novel transports you to another land where art, magic, and politics are one and the same.

I enjoyed reading this and really must source my own copy for my permanent collection (a hard task now that it's sadly -- and undeseveredly -- out of print!). I admit that it took a little while to get into, and it can be difficult keeping all the characters straight in your head, but well worth the effort and definitely leaves you gasping for more.

Sending back to Rillaith as soon as I have the address.