Dear Mr. Henshaw

by BEVERLY CLEARY, Paul O. Zelinsky | Children's Books |
Registered by kbgoffe of Beaverton, Oregon USA on 10/23/2005
Journal Entry 1 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Sunday, October 23, 2005
While I was growing up I think I read every Beverly Cleary book I could get my hands on. Still to this day I can’t pick a favorite. I can list my top 10 favorites. Each and every one of her books is a treasure. I love that they are still loved today.

Years ago I visited the Beverly Cleary Sculpture Garden for Children. It dawned on me that this would be a fun place to release some of Cleary’s books. The park is in the neighborhood were she played and went to school growing up. The plan is to release this book at the garden when I can unless requested to trade by another bookcrosser.

Book Description
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
I wish somebody would stop stealing the good stuff out of my lunchbag. I guess I wish a lot of other things, too. I wish someday Dad and Bandit would pull up in front in the rig ... Dad would yell out of the cab, "Come on, Leigh. Hop in and I'll give you a lift to school."

Leigh Botts has been author Boyd Henshaw's number one fan ever since he was in second grade. Now in sixth grade, Leigh lives with his mother and is the new kid at school. He's lonely, troubled by the absence of his father, a cross-country trucker, and angry because a mysterious thief steals from his lunchbag. Then Leigh's teacher assigns a letter-writing project. Naturally Leigh chooses to write to Mr. Henshaw, whose surprising answer changes Leigh's life.

The cover of this book is different than the picture above.

This book was found at the Friends of the Beaverton Library’s used bookstore, the Book Corner. Most paperbacks are 50 cents and most hard covers are only $1.00! All of the proceeds go to helping support the beautiful Beaverton Library, my second home.

This book is going into asuzachan’s Newbery Honor book box.

Journal Entry 2 by librarymousie from Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, June 20, 2006
This arrived with the aforementioned bookbox. Since I am the final stop, it will stay with me for a while and then continue its journey--either through wild release, direct release to a friend (and bookcrosser) who also digs children's literature, or perhaps another bookbox!

Like kbgoffe, I was a huge fan of Beverly Cleary during my childhood and I must have read everything she wrote. It's nice to see this book--I remember having one with the same cover that I literally read to pieces during my elementary school days.