Zoya's Story: An Afghan Woman's Struggle for Freedom

by John Follain, Rita Cristofari | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingSouthernfryedwing of Lexington, South Carolina USA on 10/19/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingSouthernfryedwing from Lexington, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, October 19, 2005
gift from friend

to the finder:
WELCOME TO BOOKCROSSING!
Please make a journal entry to let me know this book is safe. You may remain anonymous if you like. If you are new to bookcrossing and decide to join, please consider using SOUTHERNFRYED as the referring member. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSouthernfryedwing from Lexington, South Carolina USA on Sunday, May 14, 2006
worked out a trade with ILios, so I am bumping this book to the top of TBR, so I can get it in the mail soon.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSouthernfryedwing from Lexington, South Carolina USA on Friday, May 19, 2006
This book was much better than I expected it to be. Zoya is a very strong woman dedicated to her country and the fight for women's rights.

I am sending this book to Ilios as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 4 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Thursday, June 1, 2006
Thanks a bunch for this book! I can't wait to read it! I'll update this entry once I am done.

Journal Entry 5 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Friday, July 28, 2006
This book was a wonderful and painful look into Afghanistan's struggle and the terrible suffering endured by its women. It was an easy read and a good introduction to an Afghan's perspective to the more than 20 years of war. Although I know this is supposed to be a personal account, I think that the story is choppy and scattered. The book jumps from one topic to the next without any smooth transitions. Even though this is a non-fiction book, more care should be taken with the prose. I wish John Follain and Rita Cristofari had done a better job at organizing Zoya's recollections and memories.

The book is nevertheless enjoyable and memorable thanks to the sheer force of Zoya's story. It is unfathomable that so many people can be enslaved for so long... The only uncomfortable moment I had reading this book happened when I reached p.196. Zoya explains her views against non-Afghans adopting Afghan orphans because "if (they) were to spend even a few years in the West and lose touch with (their) origins, (they) would never want to come back to the dust of Afghanistan". Wow... That is such a ruthless decision to make for a child - condemn him or her to a life in a refugee camp with all sort of deprivations for the ideal of a possible reconstruction in the future. I'm not sure I agree with that. I cannot help it but compare this attitude with the view held by other refugees, such as Tibetan government in exile: they encourage their children to be educated in the West so that more people are aware of their struggle, and most exiles do want to come back and rebuild their country, even though they are not forced to do so.

I am not sure what to do with this book, so it'll stay on my bookshelf until I decide. Southernfryed, feel free to advise me on this. Would you rather a wild release or a ray?

Hoping this book will touch the lives of other readers.