The Hot Flash Club : A Novel

by Nancy Thayer | Women's Fiction |
ISBN: 034546916x Global Overview for this book
Registered by DMA7 of Union, New Jersey USA on 10/19/2005
Journal Entry 1 by DMA7 from Union, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, October 19, 2005
FROM THE PUBLISHER
The Hot Flash ClubNancy ThayerFrom the bestselling author of Between Husbands and Friends and An Act of Love comes a wise, wonderful, and delightfully witty “coming of age” novel about four intrepid women who discover themselves as they were truly
meant to be: passionate, alive, and ready to face the best years of their lives.

Meet Faye, Marilyn, Alice, and Shirley. Four women with skills, smarts, and secrets–all feeling over the hill and out of the race. But in a moment of delicious serendipity, they meet and realize they share more than raging hormones and lost dreams. Now as the Hot Flash Club, where the topics of motherhood, sex, and men are discussed with double servings of chocolate cake, they vow to help each other . . . and themselves.

Faye, the artist. A determinedly cheerful widow and connoisseur of control-top pantyhose, she’s struggling with creative block and an empty, lonely house. Now she’s got a tricky problem to bring to the club’s table: how can they catch her perfect son-in-law cheating on her only daughter Laura?

Shirley, the healer. Though her yoga-slender body belie her years, decades of dating losers and the strain of being broke make her feel her age. Shirley has a secret dream: a wellness spa that nurtures body and soul. But first she needs to believe in herself, in her abilities, and in her friends at the club.

Marilyn, the brain. A paleontologist who has spent so many years looking at dried-up fossils, she’s almost become one herself. Worried that her brilliant but nerdy son is about to marry the very wrong woman, she gets some helpfrom the HFC, who transform her from a caterpillar to a butterfly, with amazing results.

Alice, the executive. Black and regal, she soared to the top of the corporate ladder. Now her shoes are murder on her arthritic back and the younger jackals are circling in for the kill. But as the inspiration behind the HFC, she’s about to discover something extraordinary: contentment.

For Faye, Shirley, Marilyn, and Alice, the time has come to use it or lose it–be it their bodies, their brains, their spirits, and their sense of fun. Together they realize that they can have it all, perhaps for the first time in their lives. And though what sags may never rise again, feeling sexy has no expiration date– and best of all, with a little help from her friends, a woman can always start over . . . and never, ever, give up what matters most.

Journal Entry 2 by DMA7 from Union, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Giving this book to Antof9 who has a friend (actually she has MANY friends!) who indicated an interest in this book

Journal Entry 3 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Wednesday, October 26, 2005
I can't believe I forgot to "catch" this! Thanks, DMA7 -- I know it will be enjoyed by many -- hopefully me included :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Friday, January 13, 2006
I read this on the plane on a business trip to New Jersey, and now it's back on DMA7's desk, waiting to be sent to the BCer who was interested in it :) (long story, but it boils down to this -- I only take books on trips that I can release or give to someone on the other end. I don't want to take them back home with me once I've read them. So I brought an envelope and stamps with me, knowing I'd finish that book this trip, and then never got close to packing tape or a mailbox. . .)

Anyway, I liked this book, but I have to say it was odd. It was literally menopausal chick lit! And there's certainly nothing "wrong with that", but all the chick lit I've read before was about 20-somethings. Given the ages of the women in the book, I just automatically assumed it would have a little more depth. Silly, no? I thought it might be a little bit more like Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons, but it wasn't. It had elements of the female friendships, but not quite the depth.

This did give me a bit to think about, and was fun to read -- great for a plane ride or a beach, I think. And the flight attendants who sat across from me during takeoff and landing thought the title was hysterical. Always good to get people interested in books, in any way possible, I say!

Thanks for sharing, DMA, and the book is on M's desk with a note to her to give it to you. I couldn't find where you guys keep the office keys any more!

Hugs --

FF

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Look what turned up in today's mail- something for the menopausal woman in the household. Hmmmm...my thermostat is just t=fine. It's the rest of the world that is out of sync!

My TBR pile is huge, but I will get to this as soon as I am able.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Forgot to say "thank you!" to antof9. Don't tell my mother my manners are horrible. :(

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, February 07, 2006
I have a confession. When I picked this up to read, I realized that I'd tried to read it once before and it didn't grab me then. Despite its absolutely wonderful title, it still doesn't grab me. So, I am going to pass it on at our meetup this weekend, or perhaps set it free, should no one want to take it home.

Thanks so much for thinking of me, though. I do appreciate it, in my own menopausal way. : )