Juliet Rising (Black Lace)

by Cleo Cordell | Women's Fiction |
Registered by foxy737 of Westgate on Sea, Kent United Kingdom on 10/18/2005
Journal Entry 1 by foxy737 from Westgate on Sea, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Black lace erotic fiction writen by women for women.

Nothing is more important to Reynard than winning the favors of the bright and willful Juliet, a pupil at Madame Nicol's exclusive but strict eighteenth- century ladies' academy. Her captivating beauty tinged with a hint of cruelty soon has Reynard willing to do anything to win her approval. This classic piece of erotica is a Black Lace special reprint of one of the earliest titles in the series – by an author who pioneered the new women's erotica.

Journal Entry 2 by foxy737 from Westgate on Sea, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, February 05, 2007
as with other cleo cordell books i have read this one too was a quick an enjoyable days read. i look forward to more of her books in the future.
this one is to be passed onto nikel27 in trade, hope you enjoy as much as i did.

Released 13 yrs ago (2/6/2007 UTC) at by postal services in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 4 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
thanks for the trade.

update:
Good read, thanks for sharing with me

Goes into my Small European Black Lace BookBox

Journal Entry 5 by nikel27 at Post Office in BookBox, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (4/10/2007 UTC) at Post Office in BookBox, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

goes into my Small European Black Lace Bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 26, 2007
Caught out of the European Black Lace box to read and pass on!

Journal Entry 7 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Putting into the Black lace bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Out of the "Black-Lace BookBox".

Journal Entry 9 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, August 28, 2008
Quite entertaining... Did some bookcrossers having read this book go to such an Academy? ;)
This book is now part of the "BM8 Erotic Book Spiral".

Journal Entry 10 by book-man-8 at on Monday, March 09, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/10/2009 UTC) at

The spiral is moving again!

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, March 14, 2009
Actually read and traded this one a few years ago, but never registered my copy at bookcrossing... Maybe I'll give it another go before sending it on. Thanks so much for sending.

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Sent by post in Artà, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, April 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at Sent by post in Artà, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain

This was sent, along with Neighborhood Watch, as part of the spiral...
hopefully some of the sun of Mallorca will go along with it!

Journal Entry 13 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, April 27, 2009
This is one of the *many* spiral books that arrived in Athens while I was away on vacation. I will try to read them all as time permits.

Link to the spiral's journal.

Journal Entry 14 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, April 30, 2009
This is the book's actual cover.

The style is too similar to a Harlequin romance (or whatever this genre is called nowadays). Its contrived language I personally found unnerving: "She felt a note of discord." "An air of menace hung around her." "His mood permeated the room." "The full white skirts of her dress whispered against the polished boards. The faint sound echoed in Reynard's ears."

Then there was this strange business of psychological analysis which seemed out of place, period-wise:
"And in a strange way his strength was not diminished, nor his persona demeaned."
"Juliet knew that was only part of Madame Nichol's persona."
"She knew that she was seduced by the glimpse of darkness within her."
"part of her....", "...in her nature" & "the barrier of his integrity" are phrases repeated often.

To be honest, all this psychobabble reminded me somewhat of the wacky psychiatrist in Deep Throat... but I don't think there is any intended inside humour in Juliet Rising.

And shall I mention the numerous typographical errors?
p.27 borders (correct: boarders),
p.74 baited (correct: bated),
p.103 humilitated,
p.155 (missing a full stop at the end of 3rd paragraph),
p.172 part of her exhulted,
p.235 drove her made with lust, etc.

Madame Nichol should administer the appropriate corrective punishment to those at fault!

There's a lot of peeping going on in this story, with most characters spying in on one another, and gaining insight into the other's/their own "nature" through these vicarious experiences. If the story a fantasy, why not go all the way? I would have appreciated a scene in which the daughter spies on her father, or the other way round. Now *that* would have been suitable material for the analyst's couch!

Journal Entry 15 by voveryte from Woolwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, May 11, 2009
Received today!