Gods in Alabama

by Joshilyn Jackson | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 034089668x Global Overview for this book
Registered by thing-1 of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 10/18/2005
Journal Entry 1 by thing-1 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Bought today, intrigued by blurb
"She promised God she would stop fornicating with every boy she met, never tell another lie and never, ever go back to her home town. All she wanted from Him in return was to make sure the body was never found..."

Journal Entry 2 by thing-1 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 06, 2007
Almost 2 years later got around to reading this!

It was a 1 day read, quick enjoyable but probably forgettable. I believed in the characters and the twists (whilst not of the gasp aloud variety) were well crafted. I enjoyed the theme of story telling and the inventive game ''What''s in my pocketses'' It raised questions about ''who owns the story, who has the definitive version and can you ever trust a first person narrative?

It''s going forth in the Chicklit bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by Sunnybubble from Wallasey, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, August 24, 2007
I've heard good things about this, but do have a copy on TBR, so will be passing this on in the near future, so it finds new readers..Thanks xx

Journal Entry 4 by Sunnybubble from Wallasey, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, September 24, 2007
Off to Hoserlauren in Canada - I know she really wants it!!

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 12, 2007
Oh my goodness!!!! I was soooooo happy to see Sunny had this as AVL when we participated in our raiding bookshelves swap. I've heard so many good things about this book and have had it on my wishlist for a while. So I pretty much begged Sunny to offer it in the swap (I tried not to sound too desperate, but I wasn't successful! hehe)

Then I debated whether or not to ask for it as a reveal because I know other people have it on their wishlists too and I wanted them to keep their grubby hands off MY book. I'm pretty pathetic for strategy too so of course I went with my old ways and revealed the book, but I actually ended up with it in the end!!

YYYYAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sending it along Sunny!!!! :)

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Arlene has made a deal with God. She won't lie, have sex, or return to her home town if God keeps his part of the deal. But when someone she went to high school with in Alabama appears on her Chicago doorstep, Arlene thinks God is starting to go back on his deal. Arlene takes her African American boyfriend (who she knows will not go over well in Alabama), and drives back home to try and defuse the situation. Slowly, we learn why exactly Arlene made her deal with God. We find out who, but the why is the key point in the book, and what is kept from the reader until the end.

The characters in this novel are what gets you so involved in the book. Arlene is quirky, Burr is sweet, Arlene's mom is not quite there, and Aunt Flo takes over mom duties but is such a strong person! It is hard to put this book down. You want to know why things happened, and you suspect there's more behind the story than what Arlene is giving you.

I'm going to look up some other Joshilyn Jackson novels, I'm interested in reading some more of her works!

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 08, 2008
Mailed off to terrafreaky since she took it out of the VBB!

Journal Entry 8 by terrafreaky from Overland Park, Kansas USA on Monday, August 11, 2008
Thank you Lauren! I look forward to reading this. :)

Journal Entry 9 by terrafreaky from Overland Park, Kansas USA on Thursday, April 30, 2009
Wow, I really LOVED this book! So many smart turns of phrase that really made me grin. I never managed to quite figure out what was going to happen (well, to be correct - what HAD happened.) I kept thinking about the characters over the next few days, which is a sure sign of a good book! Thanks so much for sharing this with me!

Released 10 yrs ago (5/25/2009 UTC) at Bookobsessed.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

Sending to a PBS reader in Texas. Enjoy!