The Between Boyfriends Book : A Collection of Cautiously Hopeful Essays

ISBN: 031230904x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Ri of Cincinnati, Ohio USA on 10/16/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, October 16, 2005
From Publishers Weekly
Emmy Award-winning writer and producer Chupack (Sex and the City; Everybody Loves Raymond) gathers columns that appeared in Glamour and other magazines in this funny and occasionally poignant first book. Reading Chupack's meditations on such modern mysteries as dating, therapy and male behavior, fans of Sex and the City may hear echoes of Carrie Bradshaw's wry voice. Standout chapters include "The Breakup," in which men dump their girlfriends through a proxy ("a doorman informed me that my date was not coming down. Ever") or simple desertion ("They'll say they're going to the rest room and never return. Then they'll meet friends for drinks and say,..."What do I have to do, spell it out for her?" ). In "Seventeen Dates," Chupack endures that many terrible dates ("Date #13 was a plastic surgeon ...who asked if I was 'swimsuit ready'), positing that she must go through that many stinkers after a break-up before she meets an eligible guy. She learns a painful lesson: "there are no shortcuts, because it's not only time and distance you need after you lose a love, it's reflection." The book is padded with magazine-style pieces that stray far afield of the single women and relationships theme: there's a chapter on adjusting to L.A. after growing up in Oklahoma and one on father/daughter communication. Enough of Chupack's material, though, is clever and original enough to make this a good beach book, and the cover reminds readers that "if you read it in public, men will know you're available."

Journal Entry 2 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, December 07, 2005
This was a fast read! I read it this morning while lazing around in bed. It was actually more entertaining than I thought it would be. There were a couple laugh out loud parts. Chupack tells some funny stories about dating, but perhaps I am a little too far removed from the dating scene, being married for 4 years, to fully relate. The book is a series of essays on dating, but I do wish that there was also a short conslusion to tie it all together.

This is reserved for KarinAlyssa.

Journal Entry 3 by KarinAlyssa on Monday, December 19, 2005
Went to my mailbox after my last final to see that this book had arrived, yay ! I can't wait to read it especially as I do not have a boyfriend currently. Thanks Ri for sharing it through BookRelay

Journal Entry 4 by KarinAlyssa on Saturday, September 09, 2006
I really enjoyed that book especially as I'm between boyfriends once again ! I was and still am a big fan of Sex and the City and reading Cindy Chupack's little essays was like seeing the show again !!!

thanks Ri for sharing, it should go to Antheras if she's there at the Books'n'Brunch today.

Journal Entry 5 by KarinAlyssa on Sunday, December 03, 2006
reserved for HoserLauren for the new sexy VBB over at BookRelay

Released 12 yrs ago (1/24/2007 UTC) at the international swapping website in BookMooch.com, by mail -- Controlled Releases

To HoserLauren from the VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Received today! Thanks so much.
I was also a big Sex and the City fan so I'm looking forward to reading this.
Thanks again.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 11, 2009
Chupack writes for magazines and Sex and the City, giving advice on dating even though she confesses that as a single woman at the age of 37, it may be advice on what not to do rather than what to do. There are 36 articles/snippet on different subjects of dating and single life in this book. This includes essays on over-emotional guys, passing a guy to your friends when it doesn't work between you two, and when you feel like you've been on your current date before.

This book was fun, easy to read, and I'm sure every girl can relate to something that was said in it! Thankfully, I've never read any of her work before. I'm sure if I were to open up issues of Glamour, these articles would be in there and it would be recycled content.

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 08, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/8/2009 UTC) at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada

Left on the back shelf of the Second Cup today.