Brave New World

by Aldous Huxley | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by candy-kerosene of Oceana, West Virginia USA on 10/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by candy-kerosene from Oceana, West Virginia USA on Thursday, October 13, 2005
I've had this book for about half a year. The first time I started to read it, I only read a few chapters and stopped, because it bored me to death for some reason. I picked it back up today...for some reason I just thought I'd give it another chance, and as of right now I've read exactly 100 pages (I limit myself to 100 pages a day, on a book, due to having horrible eyes)....anyway, so far I really like it. I don't really have anything to say about it, yet, but I'm sure I will when I finish it.

I can't understand why I hated it so much the first time I attempted to read it. But oh well...

Journal Entry 2 by candy-kerosene from Oceana, West Virginia USA on Friday, October 14, 2005
Well I finished it. Pretty good book, but to me just seems like a really exagerated version of the way our society is now. But then again, I have a pretty grim outlook lol

The part where the savage and the other 2 guys get caught throwing soma away...and then later that one guy (I already forgot his name) is afraid of being sent away, starts saying "its not my fault, its all their fault..." automatically reminded me of 1984.

Of course, I couldn't help thinking about soma and comparing that to the way so many people are on anti-depressants and pills for anxiety...and just because we don't feel like dealing with a hyper kid, automatically assume he has ADD and dope him up too... And even worse, all the people on illegal drugs.. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people really do need those medications, but most of the time, even the ones that need it, abuse it.

But I feel like society and the savage guy were both WAY to extreme.