Earthly Joys

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 000649644x Global Overview for this book
Registered by camis of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 10/7/2005
Journal Entry 1 by camis from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, October 07, 2005
He is a traveller in a time of discovery, and the greatest gardenign pioneer of his day. Yet John Tradescant is a man of humble birth, trusted by the kingdom's greatest leaders: politicians, aristocrats, even royalty. Surrounded by luxury and intrigue, Tradescant gives all his attention to his magnificent gardens, in the midst of a society on the brink of upheaval.

Uniquelu skilled at collecting, raising and nurturing plants, his practical good sense make shima n invaluable servant, as he scours the known world for new adn beautiful species, and penetrates the most secret activities at court. Here both King Charles I and Tradescant are in thrall to the irresistible Duke of Buckingham, the most powerful man in England.

Tradescant ahs always been faithful to his masters, but Buckingham is unlike any he's ever known: flamboyant, outrageously charming, utterly reckless. the court may love him but the people hate him. Every certainty upon which Tradescant has based his life is challenged as his personal world is turned upside down while all around him the country slides towards civil war.

I found this a fascinating read - not knowing much of the period, the historical aspect really gripped me.

Journal Entry 2 by camis at Fellow BookCrosser in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (11/9/2005 UTC) at Fellow BookCrosser in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Sending to Noumena12 for the relay forums New Book For A New Year Game.

Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Sunday, January 01, 2006
Received as part of the Book Relayer's A New Book for a New Year exchange. Thanks Camis! I promise to read it this month!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 21, 2007
received as a RABCK from Nouat the Charleston Convention

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 27, 2010
This is the story of a very famous gardener, John Tradescant who was a gardener to some famous people during the reign of James I and Charles I.

John is in the employ of Robert Cecil, building the gardens of Hatfield House and he is very close – a confidante and friend – to the great man. John loves travelling the world in search of new species of plants. After Cecil dies, John moves around from master to master until he is ordered to the new and fabulous estate of George Villiers – first Duke of Buckingham, the most powerful man in the land. The Duke of Buckingham becomes the lover of Charles I. John is a product of his times and loyalty is everything. John ends up loving his new master. John's personal life is turned upside down by this charismatic and reckless and hated person.

Gregory has written a brilliant novel about this period just before civil war. Definitely another winner from Gregory!

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 03, 2011
Reading now!

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 09, 2011
John Tradescant is an excellent gardener in 1600s England. He serves under a famous Lord who has the King's ear and learns a lot about politics and can do as he wishes in the garden. When his Lord is moved to a new house, Tradescant follows and with his new wages marries his wife, Elizabeth. Elizabeth always feels like second fiddle to her husband's master as he serves his master first, and his family second. They soon have a boy, J, and Elizabeth gets even more upset at John serving his master first.

After his Lord dies, John is put under the service of the Duke of Buckingham who is a beautiful man and a favourite to the King and Prince. John follows every order from Buckingham, including when he is sent away from home to do his bidding and find new plants. Buckingham calls for John more and more often, and John adores him more each time he is called. Elizabeth wants this to end but John can't put her before his master.

This is the first Philippa Gregory book I've read and I really enjoyed it. She perfectly brings to life that time frame and gives characters that weren't necessarily historical figures a life of their own. John Tradescant really was a gardener to the Duke, and through Gregory's eyes and some small facts known about him, he is brought to life, which makes for a page turning read. There's a sequel to this book which I'm looking forward to reading!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 15, 2011
This book is back with me!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 16, 2011
mailed today to Sofie777 in trade for The Touch

Journal Entry 10 by sofie777 at Merimbula, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Arrived today - thankyou AceofHearts I look forward to reading this as I really enjoy this authors writing!!!

Enjoyed very much the history around this novel - the journey of plants that ended up in these great gardens and the care that had to be taken to transport them from the country of origin to England.

Journal Entry 11 by sofie777 at Gympie, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (8/10/2011 UTC) at Gympie, Queensland Australia

Posted to tantan today - hope you enjoy!!

Journal Entry 12 by tantan at Gympie, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Received today - thanks sofie777!