Written on the Body

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0099193914 Global Overview for this book
Registered by detailista of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on 10/3/2005
Journal Entry 1 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, October 03, 2005
Written on The Body is a tender dissection of erotic love. The prose is like a poem, lush with wit and imagery, but behind the luxuriant relish of the words, there is a scalpel-sharp cut of emotions. Love and longing are the wounds through which Winterson's imagery flows. The novel begins with regret: "Why is the measure of love loss? It hasn't rained in three months ... The grapes have withered on the vine." The narrator is also suffering from a heart-stricken drought. She is grieving for the loss of her true love, Louise.

Louise has flowing Pre-Raphaelite hair, and a body besieged by leukaemia, her cells waging war: "here they come, hurtling through the bloodstream trying to pick a fight." But Louise is not dead, merely abandoned by the narrator with the best of intentions. As the lament continues, striking in its beauty and dazzling inventiveness, more of the love story is revealed. The narrator has been a female Lothario, falling in love, and out again, swaggering like Mercutio. But then she meets Louise, married to Elgin--"very eminent, very dull, very rich"--and is hopelessly, helplessly smitten: "I didn't only want Louise's flesh, I wanted her bones, her blood, her tissues, the sinews that bound her together." Elgin persuades her to leave for the good of Louise's health, and all is undone.

Winterson does not shy away from grief, or joy. She has acutely described how love can transform a life, but also destroy it too. But, for Winterson, where there is love there is hope: "I stretch out my hand and reach the corners of the world ... I don't know if this is a happy ending but here we are let loose in open fields." Eithne Farry

Synopsis
A novel of loss and love, and a philosophical meditation on the body. The novel explores the body as a physical entity and as an image of our innermost selves in order to reveal more about the phenomenon of love.

- Amazon.co.uk

Released 11 yrs ago (6/14/2007 UTC) at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Journal Entry 3 by raymondmarks from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, July 07, 2007
Thanks for the book detailista. I will get back to you when I've read it...

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, September 12, 2008
Not the kind of book I would normally go for but an interesting read nevertheless.

CAUGHT IN NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE TYNE AND WEAR ENGLAND

Journal Entry 5 by raymondmarks at Cumberland Arms in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, September 12, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/12/2008 UTC) at Cumberland Arms in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Enjoy!