Shark Attack (Collins English Library Level 2)

by Jan Keane | Education |
Registered by Abena of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 10/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Abena from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, October 02, 2005
blurb:
"My father said, 'there are things in the sea that can kill you.'
Barry laughed.
'He means sharks. They`re the only dangerous fish. And we`re not afraid of them.'
Barry and Mal want to catch the biggest fish in the sea and become famous fishermen. Their wish comes true, but their lives are still in danger..."

Journal Entry 2 by Abena from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, October 16, 2005
Given to Diamondlucy

Journal Entry 3 by Suureal from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Monday, October 17, 2005
Thanks. It's always good to have a few thin English books at home, just in case...

Journal Entry 4 by winglinguistkriswing from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, March 05, 2006
Als englisches Lesefutter für meine Mitbewohnerin.

Journal Entry 5 by winglinguistkriswing from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, March 09, 2006
Two Australian youths like nothing better than their life by the sea with plenty of swimming, boating and fishing -- best of all, fishing for sharks, so none of the other fishermen will think them children anymore. When they meet the Greek immigrant girl Despina, they want to teach her all about sharks...

Coming-of-age story with plenty of Australian savoir-vivre and a bit of a bitter-sweet ending; really, this matter wasn't exactly made for easy readers stage 2. A lot of things remain too sketchy and unsatisfactory.

Currently the only copy of this book registered in BookCrossing, by the way. :)

Journal Entry 6 by winglinguistkriswing from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, November 18, 2006
This will go into my all-Australian bookbox. :)

Geht mit der ersten Hälfte der Australien-Bookbox auf Reisen.

Journal Entry 8 by feloris from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Friday, February 23, 2007
Naja, ein bisschen seltsam ist die Geschichte schon. Sehr simpel, und irgendwie wird sehr wenig erklaert. Die beiden Burschen wollen das Maedchen und alle anderen Fischer beeindrucken, und werden ein wenig unvorsichtig.
Hatte ich in ca 15-20min durch, also nicht sonderlich anspruchsvoll - fuer Englischanfaenger vielleicht schon eher.

Bleibt in der Box.

Journal Entry 9 by wingGhaneschawing from Gmunden, Oberösterreich Austria on Tuesday, March 13, 2007
scharfes mit englischem geschmack ;-)

Journal Entry 10 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Thursday, December 20, 2007
Taken out of the Australia-bookbox.
It might end up (for the moment) in the SCZ(School Crossing Zone) I'm planning to create in my classroom. Thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Thursday, March 06, 2008
It might be quite hard for beginners of English, but I read it very quickly.
The story was not the most exciting - lots of things stayed too much in the dark, the very ending seems to be "just added" somehow. A bit unsatisfactory for my taste - and as linguistkris wrote, the topic doesn't seem to be right for a Graded Reader Level 2.

Maybe someone of my pupils will love it, who knows?

Journal Entry 12 by Itori from Oberkirch, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, March 14, 2008
This book is good. The action is nicely described.
(I read it in the History lesson.)
It's back in our class library.

Journal Entry 13 by DEESSE at Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, October 10, 2011
It's in our class library.