The Future Homemakers of America

by Laurie Graham | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tabby-cat-owner of Bellingham, Washington USA on 10/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by tabby-cat-owner from Bellingham, Washington USA on Sunday, October 02, 2005
Five American Air Force wives need to make the most of living away from home in Norfolk, England in the 1950's.

Released 13 yrs ago (10/10/2005 UTC) at n/a in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

mailing to Antof9 of Lakewood, Colorado as the first step in a journey to New Zealand. Antof9 will be putting this book in an m-bag going to New Zealand.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Sunday, October 16, 2005
Caught for the m-bag going to our friends in New Zealand.

Oh man! Another book for the m-bag that I want to read first! I'm an Air Force brat -- my dad was a career A.F. man. This looks very interesting. . . I wonder if I have time to read before sending?!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Monday, October 31, 2005
3 down and 5 to go! What's that? Oh, that's 8 books out of the 90-odd pounds I've already sent so far that I just couldn't put straight into the m-bag without reading first :) Yes, this one will go in the last m-bag mailing on November 12.

So. . . I'm not even sure how to write the journal entry on this one. It's interesting what goes through your head as you read each book. In this case, I was thinking the whole time of it going to New Zealand. And I was thinking it's very Americentric. And there is a lot of stuff in here that's very "military", and some that's very Texas, and some that's very 1952-1980. It'll be interesting to read the journal entries of our Kiwi friends to hear what they think about this one!

Another interesting thing, based on the time, is that today was the funeral for Rosa Parks. I wrote a little bit about it in my blog. I happened to read the section of the book, today, after watching the funeral on tv, where one of the kids asks Peggy (the narrator) about black people riding busses. The British friend, Kath, comments about them working on the busses, but riding them? RIP, Rosa Parks.

I cried several times reading this book, but I also laughed and smiled. And it gave me a lot of memories, good and bad. My father was in the Air Force for all of my life that I was old enough to remember, so this book was like stepping into a time capsule I was very familiar with. However, a lot of the lives portrayed in this book were more sad than I remember, or at least much more sad than my own experience.

I really liked Peggy. I liked her befriending Kath, when stationed in England. I liked her wanting to do something more than just be a DW (Dependant Wife), and I liked how she was such a good friend, a fact that Grice comments on near the end of the book.

This book covers so much time, it's amazing. You literally go through a tiny chunk of history while reading it. And of course, it's from a point of view that not many can relate to. I think I'll try to find a copy for my mom and see if she likes it or not.

What's interesting to me about the way these friends stay in touch is that my experience with the military is that I don't have any long-time friends. I really didn't keep in touch with them. And these women really did stay together. Or maybe Peggy kept them together, I don't know. But I'm always jealous of people who have known each other since way back when. . .

Anyway, I need to get to bed, and the trick-or-treaters have stopped ringing the bell, so I'll cut this short.

Thanks for sending, tabby-cat-owner! Your contribution to the m-bags is greatly appreciated :)

OH! One thing I forgot -- I'll put it here. I love the wording on the label in this book, and want to retain it for future use, if you don't mind :)
This book has been registered at BookCrossing.com so that its journey through the world can be tracked. Please go to www.bookcrossing.com and enter the BCID number (shown below) to let me know you found it, then read and/or pass it on for someone else to enjoy! Thank you.

Journal Entry 5 by boreal from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Saturday, January 28, 2006
Thanks so much Tabby for sending me this wish-list book in the m-bag. I have been wanting to read it for some time after enjoying The Unfortunates by the same author.
Interesting journal entry from you too Ant, wonder what I will think of it, you will both have to wait a little while to find out.

Journal Entry 6 by boreal from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Loved this book! A great story of friendship through the years, it was interesting that although the women kept in touch the men didn't, but as you say Ant, I think the fact that they kept in touch was due to Peggy. I didn't find it overly Americacentric (is that the word??) but there was something I meant to ask someone about but I didn't note it down as I went so I can't remember what it was -typical (I know where on the page it was but not which page!). I like the way that recipes were included, and it was nice the way they tied into to each of the characters -didn't realize you could eat squirrels though!
I intend taking this along to our next meetup (hopefully with some new faces) and see if anyone else wants to read it.
Thanks once again Tabby and Ant!

Journal Entry 7 by octopusgrrl from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Friday, April 21, 2006
Picked up at the Bookcrossing meetup, Tues 11th April. I enjoyed this book, it reads really easily, like you're reading a memoir or letters. I loved how the voices of the characters came through, and it made me laugh out loud a few times (and sniffle a bit at others). It was interesting reading this straight after "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood", because there are a number of parallels, but the styles are quite different - with this book, a lot of the emotional details are very subtly conveyed, which also reminded me of reading letters, where you need to pick up what people are really saying between the lines.

Released 12 yrs ago (8/15/2006 UTC) at University Information Services Building (Link) in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

Left on the couch in East Lane - enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by gibletts on Saturday, April 28, 2007
Caught at Wellington airport, not yet read.