The Undomestic Goddess

by Sophie Kinsella | Humor |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 10/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, October 01, 2005
Bought at "Kunst & Krempel", Caritas Zürich, Birmensdorferstr. 53, 8004 Zürich (opp. Bahnhof Wiedikon)
This is a great source, and there seems to be quite a quick turnover!
All books are CHF 3 - in German, English & some French & Italian.
Click here for map

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, October 02, 2005
This is the slightly unlikely / unbelievable story of Samantha, who is a stressed, overworked London lawyer. Just as she is made partner in her law firm, she makes a mistake and runs away... to the country where she takes a job as a housekeeper, even though she can't cook, clean or load a washing machine. I said it was unlikely...!

For all this, it's an enjoyable read, and raises a few questions about jobs and stress. I found the first chapters both amusing and shocking, and could relate to the grey faced / bags under eyes / stressed Londoner description. It's only when you escape, that you look back and wonder about all the stress you put yourself under!

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, October 13, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (10/13/2005 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Coming with me to the Meetup tonight to find a new reader!

Journal Entry 4 by ScarletBea from Honley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 13, 2005
Brought this one back home with me from the BC Meeting.

I've never read anything by this author, as I really don't identify with a 'shopaholic', but I was curious, so when I read the description I thought it might be interesting :)

Journal Entry 5 by ScarletBea from Honley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 25, 2005
I really liked this book, and it made me think a lot (again!) about what kind of life/job I want to have.
Although the change in Samantha is far too radical, I appreciate her choices.

I just don't believe anyone can go from just knowing how to make toast to cook great dinners everyday!!! I'm just an average cook, and mainly because most of the time I can't be bothered, because it's boring cooking every single day...

Anyway, good read for lawyers and people in business ;)

Journal Entry 6 by ScarletBea at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, December 08, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (12/8/2005 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Meet-up, to a BC that's asked for it

Journal Entry 7 by Sunneschii from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, December 08, 2005
I took it home from the Meetup! Thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by Sunneschii from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, December 11, 2005
Wow, what a fun to read. I thought it is much better than the shopaholic books. Still not really realistic, but at least less disturbing than the shopaholic books (and I liked the shopaholic books!)
I've read this book today instead of studying... so, it is a quick read... and entertaining! Otherwise, it wouldn't have been that easy to skip studying!
I liked the persons in the book, but maybe Sam learned cooking a bit too fast?

And... where did the author have these names from? I mean, please!! Nathaniel? Sweeting?

The book is now reserved for elhamisabel.:-)

Journal Entry 9 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, December 30, 2005
Thanks very much Sunneschii. I'm going to read it soon.

Journal Entry 10 by MrBennet from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Elhamisabel was so kind as to bring the book to the MeetUp for me yesterday. I'll give it back to her as soon as I'll have finished it.

Update 25.02.06:
Though chicklit is not really my preferred literary genre, I found this one a highly amusing read. I liked especially the first two thirds - not that the story is convincing in any way, but it's really funny written.

The last part is a bit boring - this is not at all fancy...

Released 12 yrs ago (6/13/2006 UTC) at Pistazie, Restaurant Nordend in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

At the MeetUp, I'll give it back to elhamisabel.

Journal Entry 12 by wingcoco7wing from Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Took it from the meetup when elhamisabel said I could read it first. Thanks, elham, see you soon in Mainz! :-)

Journal Entry 13 by wingcoco7wing from Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, June 30, 2006
This was fun to read! I really enjoyed it (thanks again for lending, elham). I just wondered why Samantha didn't consider to open her own office instead of giving up law totally - maybe there'll be a sequel? :-)

Journal Entry 14 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Saturday, July 22, 2006
Got it at yesterday's meetup.
A non BC friend of mine likes to read this so I'll keep it for her at the moment.

Journal Entry 15 by wingKitchenGardenwing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, October 08, 2006
Passed to LyzzyBee by Elhamisabel (from Germany) at the Cambridge BookCrossing meetup on 07 Oct 2006 so that we can have some well-travelled books in the Kitchen Garden Cafe Official BookCrossing Zone!

Now available on the Official BookCrossing Zone bookshelf in the Kitchen Garden Cafe, York Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham.

If you have picked up this book, thank you for visiting the website (and the cafe!). Please take a moment to let us know you have the book, then post your review when you've read it, and pass it on to someone else. If you join, you'll be able to see what's happened to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 16 by wingKitchenGardenwing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, October 15, 2006
This is no longer on the OBCZ shelf. Marking the book as travelling, pending a journal entry, in case anyone goes to look for it in the meantime.