The Kalahari Typing School for Men

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by SKingList of New York City, New York USA on 9/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Thursday, September 29, 2005
Given to me by a friend for 'that book thing you do'

Have heard good things about it on BCAUS so I will probably give it a go. It's small enough that it can be tucked in the bag and taken to Japan.

Journal Entry 2 by SKingList at RABCK in RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (2/15/2006 UTC) at RABCK in RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Headed off to totoroandmei tomorrow!
Sasshi Kotsuzumi so not sure how long it will take.

Still haven't read it but have a second copy so am sending on this one which started its BC life in Australia :)

Journal Entry 3 by totoroandmei from Fukuoka / 福岡市, Fukuoka-ken Japan on Saturday, February 18, 2006
Thanks! This has been on my wish list.

I am sending this out as a bookring when I am done.

Mailing list

House-Elf --Ireland
Quizgirl -- UK
Charliewendy -- Australia
Totoroandmei

Released 13 yrs ago (6/4/2006 UTC) at To a fellow BookCrosser in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 5 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Arrive just before the 44 Scotland Street. Yummy two by a favorite author. I just LOVE book crossing. I have one book ahead of it so I will try to savor them all and enjoy the anticipation.

Journal Entry 6 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 19, 2006
Just love this author. His characters make you laugh and want to hug them through the pages. Thank you so much for sharing. It's a week more than I planned because i went out of town and then got sick but I'm back in the office and will request addy and mail it off.

Journal Entry 7 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Friday, October 27, 2006
No response from vibrant art. will ask geishabird for her addy. Maybe when she's done she can check to see if vibrant art is still interested.

Journal Entry 8 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Monday, November 13, 2006
Off to geishabird but earlier than the date of this entry. I forgot to journal before I dropped it in the mail.

Journal Entry 9 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Received; thank you! I've enjoyed this series so far. (I will PM vibrant-art when done; if no response, will move onto charliewendy.)

Journal Entry 10 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 18, 2006
Another very charming and enjoyable entry in this series. I love the way the female characters display their attitudes towards men in exchanges like the following:

"There are a dozen machines or so," said Mma Manapotsi. "They don't work properly, you know..."
"I don't mind," said Mma Makutsi. "They're only for men."
"Well, that's all right then," said Mma Manapotsi.

These books are a really interesting look at a country and culture which is not very visible to the rest of the world. Thanks for sharing.

Book will be sent on its way shortly.

EDITED Dec 2nd/06: I have had no luck reaching vibrant-art either, so in order to keep this ray moving, I'll move to the next on the list.

EDITED Dec 10th/06: vibrant-art has resurfaced and the book was mailed to her on December 6th.

Journal Entry 11 by vibrant-art on Saturday, January 06, 2007
This has arrived safe and sound--I will journal again soon! Thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by vibrant-art on Sunday, January 28, 2007
I agree--a fun and quick read. The writing is warmhearted, witty, often humorous, and full of interesting places and people.

Thanks for including me in the bookring! I have contacted collectorkerri and will send the book on its way soon. Sorry for not being easy to contact in the fall--thanks for your patience!

Journal Entry 13 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Monday, March 19, 2007
Arrived today. Will read ASAP.

Journal Entry 14 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Friday, April 13, 2007
Another enjoyable entry in the No. 1 Ladies' series. I liked that Mma Makutsi got a slightly larger role in this one--and a love interest! I do wish Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni would decide on a wedding date, though. I am looking forward to insight into the Botswanan wedding ceremony.

Sent to Antigone1 today.

Journal Entry 15 by Antigone1 from Genève, Genève Switzerland on Friday, June 15, 2007
I just received this in the mail - many thanks, collectorkerri and everyone in the bookring!!

Journal Entry 16 by Antigone1 from Genève, Genève Switzerland on Tuesday, July 03, 2007
As usual, a very nice read! I look forward to reading the other books in the series... Sent to charliewendy as part of the bookring last week (the other two people on the list had already read it). Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 17 by charliewendy from Yarra Glen, Victoria Australia on Friday, July 13, 2007
Thanks Antigone1, received today, safe and sound!

Journal Entry 18 by charliewendy from Yarra Glen, Victoria Australia on Friday, July 27, 2007
Another wonderful journey with Precious and her loved ones. I love these characters and I love Botswana too - or at least the Botswana of this series. I wonder if it is really like this? I would love to find out one day. It is comforting to imagine that such a warm and earthy place really exists.

Thanks so much for sharing totoroandmei!!

Journal Entry 19 by charliewendy from Yarra Glen, Victoria Australia on Monday, July 30, 2007
This went in the mail to you today totoroandmei.

Thanks for sharing!