Eleven Minutes

by Paulo Coelho | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Sobergirl of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 9/27/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Amazon.co.uk Review
Paulo Coelho's astonishingly beautiful writing in Eleven Minutes virtually guarantees it the cult status that The Alchemist already enjoys. But what is the Paulo Coelho phenomenon? How can an author who (only a short time ago) was virtually unknown to most readers have taken the world of books by storm--and without the benefit of glitzy advertising? The answer is simple: quality. Such books as The Fifth Mountain andThe Devil and Miss Prym are enough to explain a considerable following for the author, with their atmospheric prose and involving characters.

Eleven Minutes tells the story of young Maria living an innocent life in a Brazilian village and is played out in a measured fashion, but with all the author's brilliant scene-setting (very lush here) fully in place. But then Maria experiences love and suffers great pain. From this point, Coelho has us inexorably in his grip. Maria's disillusionment with love leads her to Geneva where she finally ends up selling her body (Coelho may offer us the beauty of life, but never at the expense of its harshness). Maria's approach to sex is complex--this is no mere revulsion arising from what she is now doing with her life. And then she meets a seductive young painter, who may or may not offer her a new path in life. But does she prefer to continue on the dark sexual odyssey she has embarked on, at the expense of real love?

There are echoes of DH Lawrence in Coelho's exploration of the sacred and spiritual aspects of sex and it's a brave author who tackles a subject that can so easily slip into strained seriousness. That never happens here, and Maria's journey is one that the reader willingly undertakes; the lesson she learns are lessons for the reader. --Barry Forshaw --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Paulo Coelho

Journal Entry 2 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, October 03, 2005
This was a disappointment after having read "The Alchemist" and "The Devil and Miss Prym".
This is not Coelho at his best.

NB:
This is a book for adults.

Journal Entry 3 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, October 11, 2005
Travelling to Tintti!

Journal Entry 4 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, October 13, 2005
The book arrived today, with another one, The Alchemist. What a nice surprise! Thank you, Sobergirl! We'll see which one I like best...

Journal Entry 5 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, October 23, 2005
I didn't like this book very much. At first I enjoyed it, and thought that it's surely better than The Alchemist. But then, about halfway through the book it changed and became uninteresting and a bit boring. The most important reason why I didn't like the story is that Maria is totally not believable - she is described as intelligent, independent and strong-minded, but she keeps changing her mind all the time, and it's always some man who tells her what she should think. I didn't like any other character of the book, either, and not one of them was interesting at all.

I'm disappointed, because the subject and the setting of the book are interesting, but the story hasn't been carried out as well as it could have been.

Journal Entry 6 by aava from Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Tuesday, December 27, 2005
Got this book from Tintti in our BC meet up. Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by aava from Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Tuesday, January 24, 2006
The word I use with this book is irritation.That´s what I felt throughout the reading of it.In the beginning I felt I ought to give a chance to this author. I´ve read the Alchemist which was a dissappointment and so was this book too. But there are many poeple who praise Coelho´s works so I thought there must be something in them...But for me there just isn´t.

The subject was quite interesting but the way Coelho dealt with was just plain naive.I didn´t feel anything for the main character Maria and the story didn´t strike me as very believable. And isn´t it the high time stop dividing women into madonnas and whores?Even the love story was such a cliche I had to clench my teeth to get through it.

All in all, maybe I can now give up trying to appreciate Coelho´s works, clearly they are not my cup of tea.

I hope the next reader will like this more than I did :)

Journal Entry 8 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Thursday, February 02, 2006
As aava said "But there are many poeple who praise Coelho´s works so I thought there must be something in them...But for me there just isn´t." descripes well my feelings of Coelho too. However, I don't know if this is a kind of a bookish suicide that yesterday in our bookcrossing meeting I anyway took 2 books from this author to read, as I already feel how I feel about him. Am I just looking for troubles? or willing to shake the peace in my heart?

Well, somehow I'm still a bit curious why Paolo is so well praised, and decided to give him this one more change to show what is so special in his books... Who knows, maybe I'll like this one more than the others...

Journal Entry 9 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Monday, May 22, 2006
Paolopaolopaolo... hhhhhhhhhhh.....
Certain lovely & wonderfull & sweet friends of mine always tell me how they really love Paolo's books, and poor me, trying to follow their suggestions try to read and find some proof to their words in Paolo's books... never finding it.
There's always something little & nice in his books, like in this book it was wonderfully described how the giving of a present could (or should?) be, so that one can really give something of him-/herself to another, and those presents, given from the heart, are normally the most precious, and the ones we'll remember later in life.
However, like always in Paolo's books, he mixes up love and God and desire and in this book even lust, even in the end the characters doesn't have much real morality or understanding of dignity. That really bothers me, why they never really surrender and try to find the truth? In his books I can really understand what means FALLING in love. This book had also a darker side which was quite heavy.
However, it didn't appear to be Paolo's last change, he got one more change from me as I got "Zahir" as a present: If after reading this book you completely lost your fate in P., read Zahir & maybe the darkess might have a little twinkle of light!

Mmm... I don't know will I be continuing my research on P., surely I'm still greatly surprised because of all the fame around the author. But I take this like an anthropological survey to the culture or ideas he is representing. I wish one day at least he will find what he's looking for in his books, or maybe in life?

Released 12 yrs ago (7/4/2006 UTC) at --- Wild released somewhere in Melbourne in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Paolo, paolo...
Paolopaolopaolo (with some disagreeing shakes of head)...
As I didn't agree with many of Paolo's stories, this one the least, I decided to take him as far as I could. I wanted to take him to Hongkong first (that sounded very far away), when I'll go there on Saturday to change my plane, but then I realised that I don't want to make any security alarms to ring if I release Paolo at the airport.
So, Paolo comes with me to Melbourne (which is actually more far away!! check the map!:)), and he will stay there -I'll return home without his painfull presence. (I'm sorry to tell you that, all Paolo fans ever reading my journal entries. But hey, there's some good in everything, and so there's in Paolo's journey too: maybe some new happy booklover from a distant country will find this book and enjoy the story more than I ever did!)
Happy travel, paolo & hopefully better reading enjoyment for the next readers!

Journal Entry 11 by lenfran from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, July 05, 2006
Found the book on a cafe table in an arcade. I noticed what I thought might be the owner's address on the first page and made my first (delighted) acquaintance with bookcrossing. I am
an avid reader and will participate so that my books will continue to live - and not languish on the shelf.

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, July 21, 2006
My friend gave me the book and I plan to leave it on the train

CAUGHT IN MELBOURNE VIC AUSTRALIA