A Sudden Country : A Novel

by Karen Fisher | History |
Registered by wingfollygirlwing on 9/26/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingfollygirlwing on Monday, September 26, 2005
I wasn't going to register this book as it is a gift to melinda010100 ( Wisconsin)
I 'met' Mel through Bookcrossing and I am happy to call her a friend. We are about to meet and I chose this book from her wish list as a surprise when she arrives here.
I decided to register it as it will be safely traveling to Wisconsin and it may end up in other places.
Enjoy the book my friend!

Keep it or release it, it's your call. :)

Journal Entry 2 by melinda010100 from Janesville, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Thanks so much, follygirl!!!What a lovely surprise! It was so much fun to stop in for a lovely afternoon visit with you AND get a new book to begin reading in the car during my journey across Ontario and Michigan and while stuck in traffic coming through Chicago!

Journal Entry 3 by melinda010100 from Janesville, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, October 13, 2005
I finally found the time to finish this book last night. I thought the story had great potential, but I was disappointed by the ending. The authors writing style was a bit of a challenge for me. But the story of the Oregon Trail from a womans perspective, leaving her comfortable Iowa home and obediently following her husband and the resentment, worries and then the freedoms she experiences in the west kept me reading.

Sending to spikesmom in PA as a RABCK

Journal Entry 4 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Arrived today, and so much thanks. It's books like this that make me want to catch up on what's already on Mt. TBR just so I can get to this that much faster!!

Thanks, Melinda!

Journal Entry 5 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, February 07, 2007
I'm reserving this for Arugh, who needs it for her bookclub. Maybe it's a good thing I haven't been able to get to it before now!

Journal Entry 6 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, February 11, 2007
Yeah, as Mel said, the author's writing style is difficult. I'd have to re-read passages a few times and even then, I wasn't certain I was following everything.

I am very sad I didn't like this more; I'd had really high hopes for it.

Journal Entry 7 by arugh48187 from Highland Park, Illinois USA on Sunday, February 18, 2007
Found this one in my mailbox this afternoon. Thanks for the RABCK, WestofMars. I hope I like it better than the rest of the readers did.

Journal Entry 8 by arugh48187 from Highland Park, Illinois USA on Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Sadly, I am going to have to concur with the other readers on this one; a good story, but the writing left much to be desired. I chose not to re-read all the passages that I didn't "get" and just moved on despite my lack of understanding. The story did not suffer and leads me to think that those parts could have been left out altogether with no harm done. I also did not like the ending, but due to the fact that the story was loosely based on fact (the author being a decendant of Emma Ruth) I suppose that Ms. Fisher had no choice.

Book club is in a week, so I finished in good time. Thanks again for the RABCK. I will pass it on.

Released 13 yrs ago (3/21/2007 UTC) at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases

Passing on to Secretariat as an RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Secretariat from Carlsbad, California USA on Sunday, April 01, 2007
Very kindly sent to me as a RABCK to fulfill one on my wishlist. Thank you so much for your kindness.

Journal Entry 11 by Secretariat at Village Kitchen & Pie Shop in Carlsbad, California USA on Saturday, May 30, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (5/31/2020 UTC) at Village Kitchen & Pie Shop in Carlsbad, California USA

Released for the 2020 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Release Challenge, Week 22, Double vowels or consonants in title.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the BookCrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Secretariat. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.