Prodigal Summer: A Novel

by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by woodsroy of Dieppe, New Brunswick Canada on 10/22/2002
Journal Entry 1 by woodsroy from Dieppe, New Brunswick Canada on Tuesday, October 22, 2002
I REALLY enjoyed this novel! The characters were very well developed and although it's not clear in the beginning how all the characters tie in together, in the end, a complex, but realistic web is woven to show how their lives interact. Another Kingsolver work of genius!

Released on Thursday, December 19, 2002 at Snail mail in Another Bookcrossing Member, In the mail to fellow BookCrosser United Kingdom.

I am mailing this book to LeighBCD in London, England. I'm so excited that my book is going to travel across the ocean! :-D I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.
Merry Christmas!

Journal Entry 3 by LeighBCD on Wednesday, January 15, 2003
Just received from woodsroy. Hooray!! Thanks so much - I have wanted to read this for a long time. I will read it soon and keep it moving.

Journal Entry 4 by LeighBCD on Friday, January 24, 2003
Not available for trade at the present time.

Journal Entry 5 by LeighBCD on Monday, January 27, 2003
I have not enjoyed a book this much in a very long while - I really loved it. I finished the book on Saturday afternoon sitting in the window of a Starbucks across the street from the British Museum. I enjoyed the book so much that the first thing I did once I had finished it was to walk to Foyles on Charing Cross Road and buy another copy of the novel for my own collection. I am going to release this copy of the book into the UK book box which is shortly heading my way!

I don't know what it was that I liked so much about this novel but I think, above all, it was the evocation of nature and how people cannot divorce themselves or their lives from it. The characters were wonderful - I loved the chapters dealing with Garrett and Nannie's relationship the best. Deanna's story was rather frustrating - not surprising, really, yet still very poignant. I can't decide whether I love or hate Lusa!

I have a strong sense that the message of this novel is very profound but I have not worked out as yet its precise meaning. It is a book to savour and ponder on. Has anyone else picked up on the fact, for example, that the first and last paragraphs of the novel are virtually idenitical? I just love books like this, books that make you think and authors who take the time and trouble to plot their stories so wonderfully.

Anyway, I have blathered on too long about the book! In addition to buying myself another copy of The Prodigal Summer, I acquired two other Kingsolver novels to read - Big Mistake as I have a TBR pile as long as my arm but I don't care. Barbara Kingsolver is my new Anita Shreve! Thanks so much woodsroy for sending me this book - I would never have read it had you not sent me that PM asking about a book exchange!

Released on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 at Sent to a bookcrosser in Royal Mail, City of London, England United Kingdom.

Sent to xwastrelx in the UK book-box. I love this book and I would like to share it with more people.

Journal Entry 7 by December7 from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 17, 2003
Found in UK Bookbox - thanks! i'm really looking forward to reading this one, and will release it when I've finished.

Journal Entry 8 by December7 from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 08, 2003
Unfortunately I started this book while studying, and as it isn't the kind of book you can skip through, it's taking me ages to read!

It's a magical and original book, and I'm looking forward to giving someone else the pleasure of reading it.