The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time: Adult Edition

by Mark Haddon | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by purplerosebud of Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on 9/18/2005
Journal Entry 1 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 18, 2005
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's Syndrome. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.

Journal Entry 2 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 25, 2005
Finished this book today and thought it was brilliant. Read it in 2 days and just couldn't put it down. It was so well written that I could just picture Christopher and all the antics he got up to. I could imagine how he felt because of his Asperger's Syndrome, in the different situations he found himself in. I would thoroughly recommend it.

I am going to offer it out on a mini ring before I decide whether I can bear to release it in the end.

Journal Entry 3 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 27, 2005
I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

The participants so far are:
CalaLilly
jedsmom
mellowdaisy
marie-therese
janiemac75
Jaycee1972
Katie1980

This is how it works:
You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address.
It's not a race, so just read it in your own time but remember that other people are waiting to read it too.
Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it currently is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it!)
If you're the last person on the list the book comes back to me.

Journal Entry 4 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 10, 2005
Passed onto me by PurpleRoseBud.
It wasn't a book that I couldn't put down but I had to carry on reading it until the end. Well written. It does make you realise how lucky you are.
I am now passing it on to jedsmom.

Journal Entry 5 by jedsmom from Newport, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 13, 2005
Just arrived, thanks for the choccy. How did you know that was one of my favourites?

Journal Entry 6 by jedsmom from Newport, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, October 17, 2005
Excellent read. On it's way to Mellowdaisy

Journal Entry 7 by mellowdaisy on Wednesday, October 19, 2005
I received this in the post this morning, and have added it to the pile - currently half way through a ring book and have another one to read, so three in total!! I'm off work at the moment though so should get through them fairly quickly.

Looking forward to reading this one!! Thank you to jedsmom for the chocolate (it's mine, not Terry's)!!!

Journal Entry 8 by mellowdaisy on Monday, October 24, 2005
I managed to finish the book in a day because I just could not put it down!! I kept wanting to find out more about what was going to happen next in Christopher's journey, and thought that the book was very well written - I could understand how Christopher felt in different situations and empathised with him when he didn't want to be touched and around lots of people.
It certainly helps to open your eyes and realise what some people have to live with, and how it can affect all members of the family.

I was very happy that he got to take his Maths A Level in the end :-)

I will be passing the book on as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 9 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 27, 2005
Book recieved in the post today from mellowdaisy (thanks!) I've got 2 bookring books to read before this one but hope to pass it on within the month.

Journal Entry 10 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 10, 2005
A very interesting book that gives a true insight nto Asbergers and autism. Will now PM janiemac75 for her address.

Journal Entry 11 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 14, 2005
Posted today to janiemac75, hope you enjoy it and thanks again to purplerosebud for sending the book out on a ring.

Journal Entry 12 by janiemac75 on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
The book arrived this morning, thank you marie-therese. The chocolates are lovely.
I will start it tonight. Thanks to purplerosebud for starting the ring!

Journal Entry 13 by janiemac75 on Thursday, November 24, 2005
I really enjoyed this book. Thanks to purplerosebud for starting the ring. It is now on its way to Jaycee1972.

Journal Entry 14 by Jaycee1972 from Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 26, 2005
Received this one yesterday from janiemac75. Thank you for the chocs, yum. Just got into another book, but if it looks like taking me a while, I will leave that one to read this. In the meantime, hubby has started reading this one and can't seem to put it down. I will let you have his comments too!

Journal Entry 15 by Jaycee1972 from Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 04, 2005
This is a really good book. I read it in a couple of days as I just couldn't put it down! It is very well written and in a different style to anything else I have read before, it being written from Christoper's perspective. It really makes you think. I found it very believable and at times it really tugged at my heart strings. I had to skim over some of the math problems though ;) My husband also found it very unputdownable and read it in a few days.

Thanks to Purplerosebud for sending this out as a ring. I will get it in the post this week.

Journal Entry 16 by Jaycee1972 from Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Sending to Katie1980 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by katie1980 from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 18, 2005
This arrived in the post yesterday - thank you for sharing, and I'll pass it on as soon as I can :o)

Journal Entry 18 by katie1980 from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 04, 2006
I loved this book! I can now see why Spike1972 raves about it on BCUK, and says that everyone ought to read it! purplerosebud was right when she said that this is a quick read, but it's a brilliant book! There were bits that made me laugh out loud, parts because they were so funny, and others because they were so obvious but I had never seen them in that way before! The aouthor obviously did his research well into Aspergers Syndrome before he wrote this book, as it was so vivid. Amazing read!

Oh, and I liked the fact that he fully explained the puzzle with the doors and the goats and the car. I'd never really understood it until I looked at the diagram that explained it perfectly!

I may buy a copy of this book for my permanent collection, and so that my fiancé can read it - I really think he'd enjoy it, being big on maths and computers himself :o)

I'll pass this on as soon as I can get it to the post office :o) Thanks again for the opportunity to read this book!

Released 13 yrs ago (1/7/2006 UTC) at mailing to a fellow bookcrosser in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I will be posting this to Kamethe tomorrow when I go to the post office :o)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 20 by Kamathe on Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Excellent! Finished this book overnight and then passed it on to my friend who had it on a pile of "must reads". I have just got it back and so will be sending it on to the next person on the list, or back to Purple rosebud, whichever is applicable.

Journal Entry 21 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 10, 2006
This book has now come back to me, thank you Kamathe. I'm glad you all enjoyed it and thank you for your lovely journal entries. I still haven't decided where it is going next but I hope it finds new readers soon.

Although I read many books and like a true bookcrosser I pass them all on to new readers, I have decided that this book is one of the few that is going to stay in my permanent collection.

Journal Entry 22 by purplerosebud at Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 24, 2013
It's come to the time when I have to admit I have too many books on my bookshel, so I will be moving this one on very shortly. I will leave it at a place where I know other books have been found and journaled so maybe this one will be lucky too.