Codex

by Lev Grossman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Koalabare of Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on 9/17/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Koalabare from Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, September 17, 2005
Edward, an arrogant young banker finds himself having to catalogue and organise the personal library of some important clients.

Among the books is a rare and priceless codex that has been missing for generations. At the same time, Edward's friends draw him into an online game that starts to mirror the legends depicted in the codex.

I enjoyed this - there was a nice ambiguity to it, mixed with an atmospheric dreaminess that I wouldn't have associated with its New York setting (not that I've ever been there).

The ending was especially ambiguous - at some point I'll re-read this to see if the last couple of chapters make more sense, but I did find myself getting annoyed at the main character's lack of sense.

However, despite this, I like stories which don't wrap everything nicely up for the reader - leaves things open to the imagination more. And I'd love to try playing MOMUS one day!