The Poet

by Michael Connelly | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 9/15/2005
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 15, 2005
Picked this up at the annual Mississauga Symphony book sale. Great deals!
This book was used in a sick shit swap and it sounded great so I had to add it to my wish list. Then I fulfilled my wish!

From Chapters:
Edgar Allen Poe couldn’t have anticipated how frightening his “midnight dreary” would become. In a departure from his LAPD Harry Bosch series, Michael Connelly brings us one of the scariest murderers, a savage cop-killer dubbed “The Poet,” whose trademark is leaving behind corpses and quotations of Poe’s verses on windshields. If that doesn’t keep you awake, maybe psychopathic pedophiles lurking on the internet will do the trick, as Connelly injects even deeper fear and darkness into this already heart-thumping read.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 22, 2011
When Jack McEvoy, a reporter from Denver, learns that his brother committed suicide something doesn't add up. McEvoy's brother was a cop and the police blame his suicide on a case that was eating at him. McEvoy decides to write a story about his brother's death and uncovers some inconsistencies. Soon, McEvoy finds similar cases in other cities and goes to the FBI to get more information from their database of cop suicides. He manages to get pulled in to an FBI investigation after he convinces them that there's a serial killer on the loose killing cops and making it look like a suicide.

Each cop that they find to fit the pattern leaves behind a line from Edgar Allan Poe as their suicide note, which dubs the serial killer as 'The Poet'. They follow the leads from different parts of the city and soon get a suspect in sight, while McEvoy starts falling for one of the lead agents Rachel.

Though there were some aspects of this book that were plain unbelievable (do you really think the FBI would ever allow a reporter to follow their investigation and take them to their sting operations?), it was still a great book. I didn't guess the plot twist until a couple of pages before hand, which had me turning the pages quickly as I read. Connelly did a great job with this book outside of the Bosch series. I also enjoyed reading about these amazing things called digital cameras (the book was written in 1996, pre-digital camera takeoff!).

Journal Entry 3 by chevybuick at Port Colborne, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 14, 2011
Picked up at the Oakville Bookcrossing Meetup. Will read and release.

Journal Entry 4 by chevybuick at Port Colborne, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 10, 2012
This was a great Michael Connelly book. One of my favourites to date. I am going to give to my daughter to read.