Der Vorleser

by Bernhard Schlink | Other |
Registered by skyblueteapot of Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on 9/15/2005
Journal Entry 1 by skyblueteapot from Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 15, 2005
A powerful thought-provoking (and yes, it has to be said) moderately depressing German novel. It is difficult to summarise without spoiling it, suffice it to say that it begins with a young boy having an affair with an older woman and ends up with the war crimes trials.

I saw an interview recently with a German teacher, born shortly after the war. He said that it was crucial for Germans to come to terms with Nazi atrocities, since they couldn't move on without making their peace with their past. But he said that for his generation that had been very difficult. The generation who had all been adults during the war had all been either victims or perpetrators of the atrocities, and none were prepared to talk about it to their children afterwards. It was painful and shocking for that first post-war generation to learn of the atrocities (through the war crimes trials and the testimonies of the liberators and survivors. They had to look at their elders and wonder what guilt they carried, what crimes they were responsible for, Furthermore they began to realise that many ex-Nazis had had the cunning or luck not to get caught, but remained as respected and powerful establishment figures. Often those who were condemned and imprisoned were not the worst perpetrators, rather the ones who hadn't the education or sense to defend themselves effectively.

This novel conveys the horror, shock and shame of the post-war generation. The love affair and the innocence of the narrator at the start of the story adds a welcome change of tone to the starkness of the latter part.

Strongly recommended.

On its way via post to Random-Poet. Should be there about Wednesday. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 2 by Random-Poet from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 15, 2005
Arrived in the post today as I was chasing the rabbit round the house to catch her to take her to the vet! Thanks skyblueteapot!

I've read this in English and I love it. I am looking forward to reading it in German. As I'm off to Italy for three weeks in two weeks time, it may be a while before I can read this. So please bear with me!

Journal Entry 3 by Random-Poet from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 03, 2005
Ich habe diese Buch auf English gelesen und es hat mir viel gefallt (und auch war schön ubergesetzt)! Aber auf Deutsch war es besser! Weil ich auf Deutsch langsamer lesen muß, muß ich mehr denken. Und gibt es viel in diese Buch darüber zu denken. Ich denk man kann diese Buch vielmal lesen und immer etwas neu entdecken.

Schlink schriebt mit schöner Präzision an viele wichtige Thema: Geheimnisse, Schuld, Unschuld, Verantwortung.....

Danke sehr skyblueteapot!

Journal Entry 4 by Random-Poet at By post in Edinburgh, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 19, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (1/19/2006 UTC) at By post in Edinburgh, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Dani75, who has it on her wish list! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Dani75 from Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, January 28, 2006
Received today!
Heute bei mir angekommen - danke an Random-Poet für ein Buch aus meiner wishlist. Ich freue mich schon auf das Lesen!

Journal Entry 6 by Piggeldy from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, February 16, 2006
Dani hat mir das Buch beim letzten MeetUp in Stuttgart in die Hand gedrückt - es könnte zwar eine Weile dauern, bis ich zum Lesen komme, aber Hoelli (der das Buch nach mir haben will) hat sich nicht über zuwenig Lesestoff beklagt ;-)

Dani handed the book over to me at the recent Stuttgart MeetUp - it might take a while to get to read it, but Hoelli-Harnsn (who wants to read the book afterwards) didn't complain he'd run out of books in the nearer future ;-)

Edit, March 10th: I liked the book, though it was somehow shocking and fascinating at the same time... I don't know how to write something about the content without spoilers, but I think it is really a book worth reading (as far as I know it's part of the recommended reading at schools).

Journal Entry 7 by Hoelli-Harnsn from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Von Piggeldy bei Meetup überreicht bekommen. Der Vorleser wandert erst mal auf meinen Mount-TBR.