Notes from a Small Island

by Bill Bryson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by allysther of Makakilo, Hawaii USA on 9/15/2005
Journal Entry 1 by allysther from Makakilo, Hawaii USA on Thursday, September 15, 2005
From Publishers Weekly
Before his return to the U.S. after a 20-year residence in England, journalist Bryson (Made in America) embarked on a farewell tour of his adopted homeland. His trenchant, witty and detailed observations of life in a variety of towns and villages will delight Anglophiles. Traveling only on public transportation and hiking whenever possible, Bryson wandered along the coast through Bournemouth and neighboring villages that reinforced his image of Britons as a people who rarely complain and are delighted by such small pleasures as a good tea. In Liverpool, the author's favorite English city, he visited the Merseyside Maritime Museum to experience its past as a great port. Interweaving descriptions of landscapes and everyday encounters with shopkeepers, pub customers and fellow travelers, Bryson shares what he loves best about the idiosyncrasies of everyday English life in this immensely entertaining travel memoir. Author tour.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.--This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Journal Entry 2 by allysther at Rose Barracks in Vilseck, Bayern Germany on Thursday, September 15, 2005

Released 17 yrs ago (9/15/2005 UTC) at Rose Barracks in Vilseck, Bayern Germany

To be released in building 700, on the chairs in front of the SATO office.

I'm picking up my tickets to fly to the East Coast to see my family for the first time in a year. Somehow I thought this book an appropriate release!

Journal Entry 3 by lovetoread66 from Vilseck, Bayern Germany on Monday, October 17, 2005
I enjoy reading and found this book in Bldg.700 in front of the Red Cross Office. It took a little longer to read than usual for me as it is not the type of book I usually read. It was okay, but I prefer mysteries and historical fiction to this type of travel memoir. Not yet sure where I will leave it.

CAUGHT IN VILSECK GERMANY