One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

by Ken Kesey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by beautyredefined of Washington, District of Columbia USA on 9/12/2005
Journal Entry 1 by beautyredefined from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Monday, September 12, 2005
So I finished this book tonight, and I must say it certainly deserves credit for its creativity. Life in an asylum through the eyes of a patient paints an interesting picture. When the monotony of the ward's daily life is interrupted by a boisterous new patient, McMurphy, the authoritative Big Nurse knows that her way of running the hospital is threatened. In the all-out psychological battle that ensues, the other patients (our narrator included) are changed forever.

So that's the general gist of the story, and I really enjoyed it. Now this next section may contain some spoilers, so be warned. I found myself rooting/hoping for the narrator to be reintroduced to the outside world. Each inmate had their own hang-ups, but you go the sense that they're really not much crazier than the rest of us (though there are a few things the patients do that just don't make much sense to me). They each deeply understood the power structure in the ward, but they were too afraid of Big Nurse's wrath to do much about it...that is, until McMurphy showed up. He's quite the character, and he becomes almost a martyr to the rest of the ward. Through his rage against the Big Nurse, he sacrifices himself, and liberates some of the other patients as well, even if not always for the better. It's really quite interesting how Big Nurse made him seem like someone just out for his own hide (and he was, really...), when in the end he really lost himself for the group's benefit. It's really fascinating how just one man can really make such a difference to a group of people, even in places like an asylum. There are people who just affect everyone around them, no matter where they are.

Anyway, it's a good book, and I'm glad I finally decided to read this classic.

Journal Entry 2 by beautyredefined from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Friday, January 13, 2006
This is being sent to a new owner via paperbackswap.com. I hope they enjoy it!