The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Kidd | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0142001740 Global Overview for this book
Registered by napper of Brooklyn, New York USA on 9/6/2005
Journal Entry 1 by napper from Brooklyn, New York USA on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Haven't read this yet, so I am sending it off on a bookring!

First up, Shimmy-crazy!

Journal Entry 2 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 25, 2005
arrived, cheers napper

This is a very lovely book. It follows 14 year old Lily as runs away from home taking her black servant with her and ends up living with three bee keeping sisters who are all slightly excentric in there own ways. Its told from Lily's point of view which can be at times funny at others quite moving. This is a beautiful rose tinted story even though it has quite a dark undercurrent as Lily has to contend with her fathers abuse and the deep seated racism of the time.

Posted off to fairiemist this morning

Journal Entry 4 by faeriemyst from Marietta, Ohio USA on Saturday, November 12, 2005
Received today, will get started ASAP!

Journal Entry 5 by faeriemyst from Marietta, Ohio USA on Saturday, November 26, 2005
This book was absolutely beautiful. I really don't know what to say, it left me speechless. It felt as if Ms. Kidd took me into the story like I was an invisible observer and I just couldn't turn away. I loved this book and am glad I read it after The Mermaid Chair, as I think this is a much better book. The characters and settings seemed so real to me. A wonderful book I'd recommend to anyone.

Thanks so much for sharing! :o)

Will send to booknhand next week.

Journal Entry 6 by faeriemyst from Marietta, Ohio USA on Thursday, December 01, 2005
Sent to booknhand today. :o)

Journal Entry 7 by booknhand from San Jose, California USA on Saturday, January 14, 2006
Rest Assured everyone - this book did arrive safely and on time. I just wasn't home to receive or journal it. It has been safely sitting with a few other books that arrived while I was gone.

I was unexpectedly out of town for a while and am just now getting through all the stuff that piled up while I was gone. I have a few rings that came while I was gone (if I knew I was going to be out of town, I would have waited on receiving these books).

I will get this one read as soon as I can and get it on is way again.

Thanks for everyone's patience and understanding.

Journal Entry 8 by booknhand from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, January 29, 2006
Finished this book last weekend and this is the first chance I have had to journal it.

I joined the ring based on the hype of the book and although I enjoyed it very much it wasn't what I was expecting.

I guess I am not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I ended up getting out of the book.

It was interesting to follow Lily's struggles in life and the internal battle she fought about her worth and her feelings toward her mother. The guilt she carried and the way her father treated her tore at my heartstrings, yet the love she found in Rosaleen and the Boatwright sisters and the eventual healing of her identity were very rewarding.

I am glad I had the opportunity to read this book. Thanks for sharing it.

I will be PMing the next person and sending it off as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 9 by booknhand at Controlled Release - Bookring in San Jose, California USA on Sunday, February 12, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (2/12/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release - Bookring in San Jose, California USA

Heading off to Ilios in Flordia as the next member of this bookring :)

Journal Entry 10 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Wednesday, February 22, 2006
I just received this book in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to read it, as I heard many good things about it. It might take me a few weeks to get to it though, because I have two other rings in front of it, but I'll go as fast as I can. Thank you for sharing this!

PS: Thanks for the pretty California postcard, booknhand!

Update 4/03/06
I am halfway through the book. I am contacting cowgirl-up today to get her address and get this book moving as soon as I am done. I expect to be finished within a week or so.

Journal Entry 11 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Tuesday, April 18, 2006
This was a wonderful book. Once I started, I had great difficulty prying myself out of it, even though I had many other responsibilities to attend. The author was able to create a fascinating world of mystery, love, family and tradition by breathing life into the characters of Lily, August, Deborah, June, May and Rosaleen. I fell in love with all those strong women who built a wonderful life for themselves despite all the obstacles their environment threw at them. I am looking forward to reading other books from this author.

mailed to the next bxer! Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Wednesday, April 26, 2006
The book has arrived! Perfect timing considering I just finished my last read so this one will be up next. I'll pass it along ASAP.

Journal Entry 14 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Mailed today to MysteryMish to keep the bookring moving!

Journal Entry 15 by MysteryMish from Santa Monica, California USA on Thursday, June 08, 2006
Got this in the mail yesterday, can't wait to read it. I have one ring ahead of this.

Journal Entry 16 by MysteryMish from Santa Monica, California USA on Saturday, June 17, 2006
Loved this book! It was so engaging and easy to read. The pace was just right, and all the elements (story, setting, characters) all came together beautifully. I'll be sending this book home to napper soon!

Journal Entry 17 by napper from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, June 22, 2006
My first bookring, back safe and sound! Thanks so much to all!

Journal Entry 18 by napper from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, March 26, 2007
After sitting quietly on my shelf, getting no attention whatsoever, this is off to VeganMedusa down under!

Journal Entry 19 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Thursday, June 21, 2007
Thanks Napper - this looks like a lovely book!

Journal Entry 20 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
I loved, loved, loved this book! I'm sorry I left it on the shelf for so long.
The characters were great, the bee motif, the way Lily talked/thought.
I'll definitely be reading this author's other books.

Posted today for the bookobsessed.com Cliff's Top 100 relay.

Journal Entry 21 by Lottiotta from Aberdovey, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Received as part of a relay at BookObsessed.com... :) Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 22 by Lottiotta at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 02, 2010
Thought you'd all like to know that I'm currently powering through my TBR shelf, and I'll be starting this one tonight. :)

12th December 2010
I think I'm going to give up on this one. The writing style is beautiful, and it feels good to read, but I just don't feel like I can connect with this story. I've gotten disconnected from my inner teenage girl, and... well, I don't know. I love the style, but I'm not gripped.

I think I'll save this one for a wild release, I know the perfect spot. :)

Journal Entry 23 by Lottiotta at The Chattery (Cafe) in Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, April 01, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (4/1/2011 UTC) at The Chattery (Cafe) in Swansea, Wales United Kingdom

Handed in, to be passed on to Al, who will put the books on the shelf. :)