Pride and Prejudice

by Jane Austen | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0140620222 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Annadlx of Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on 9/6/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Elizabeth Bennet is at first determined to dislike Mr. Darcy, who is handsome and eligible. This misjudgment only matched in folly by Darcy's arrogant pride. Their first impressions give way to truer feelings in a comedy concerned with happiness and how it might be achieved.

Journal Entry 2 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Taken by some to be purely an enjoyable romance, Pride and Prejudice is far more, consists of far more intricate levels and perspectives and offers something new to enjoy and admire in every new perusal. It deals with the relation of the inividual towards society, with self-knowledge, with reflection and reason in general, with the struggle to unite liveliness, intellect and politeness (in which Elizabeth does not always succeed)and many more topics. It is written with great inspiration and wit, full of sparkling humour and delicious irony.

Some might find it boring and hard not to fall asleep, but that's probably somebody who isn't used to reading classics.

-> available

Journal Entry 3 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Monday, January 09, 2006
reserverd for Milk

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, January 13, 2006
Just arrived via post - thanks a lot, Annadix. After never ever read a novel by Jane Austen, it is now time for me to do so. I look very much forward to it, but "Pride and Prejudice" is Number 3 in my MTBR, so it will take a while. (Unfortunately I can walk to work, so no reading-time at the train anymore...)

CAUGHT IN BADEN-BADEN BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG GERMANY

Journal Entry 5 by Milk from Baden-Baden, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, January 13, 2006
I am very sorry, I made the jorunal unlogged. It´s me - Milk.

Journal Entry 6 by Milk from Baden-Baden, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, February 27, 2006
I tried hard - and I don´t know if because missing language-skills or interest, I did not finish this book at all. It just didn´t get me, which is kind of sad, because everybody keeps telling me how fantastic Ausens novels are. Anyway, maybe I´ll try again one day.

Journal Entry 7 by Milk from Baden-Baden, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, September 29, 2006
I did not try a second time, but this novel should not stay in my shelf unread. I am sure one of the next persons that take part in Quataqas English Book Box will like it.

Journal Entry 8 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Sunday, November 05, 2006
Taken from Quantaqa's English Bookbox. Everyone says that is a Must-Read, but I never got around to it, and here along comes a Bookbox with this book in. How could I resist? (The first chapter sounds promising.)

Journal Entry 9 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, December 20, 2006
It doesn't happen often that I give full points to a book but this one shot straight into my Top 5!
I finally started reading a couple of days ago, was busy during the weekend, and then on Monday evening I continued reading ...until 4 in the morning. o_O

I'm not entirely sure why I never wanted to read this before. From the (well-meaning) descriptions of other people and whenever P&P was mentioned in a book, I'd somehow gotten the impression that it was all about a haughty heroine and a cruel hero (which doesn't necessarily mean it's bad; after all I love "Gone with the Wind" which fits that description pretty well), and overall pretty serious stuff.

Luckily, I found it was quite the opposite: I laughed myself silly while reading (esp. towards the end), all of the characters are delightfully realistic, and both Elizabeth and Mr Darcy are refreshingly sympathetic characters while remaining truly flawed. At the same time, the supporting characters haven't been neglected either. Not all of them are likeable (e.g. Mrs Bennet) but they all feel natural. I also love the irony of some of the dialogues, e.g. Lizzy's refusal of Mr Collins, or the (hypothetical) discussion about Bingley's likelihood of being influenced by a friend.

All in all an excellent read! Definetely goes onto my (imaginary) must-buy list. Pity X-mas is so close - no sense in wishing for it now. Thanks for sharing, Annadlx! :)

EDIT: I eventually got around to buying a copy in January 2010. Yes, it took me 3 years (the purchase was triggered by a ring book that is basically a fanfic of P&P), but the story is still as captivating and entertaining as it was the first time around.

EDIT 2: Another six years later I finally got around to watch the movie (2005 version) and I love that one, too. Now I want to read the book again... Still one of my favourites.

Journal Entry 10 by erinacea at Café Bilderbuch, Akazienstr. 28 in Schöneberg, Berlin Germany on Sunday, January 14, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (1/14/2007 UTC) at Café Bilderbuch, Akazienstr. 28 in Schöneberg, Berlin Germany

Will be taken along to the Meet-up.

Journal Entry 11 by Odddelia from Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Sunday, January 14, 2007
Picked up at Meet-up tonight. This part of the blurb (wer hat sich nur dieses Wort einfallen lassen?) was the most impressive to me: Only by taking the route to self-knowledge can they reach a mature understanding of each other and find lasting contentment.

Journal Entry 12 by wingBCZ-Reisekneipewing from Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Now together with the other books in our OBCZ

Journal Entry 13 by wingBCZ-Reisekneipewing from Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Now the book is on a new travel adventure