Portia: The Life of Portia Washington Pittman, Daughter of Booker T. Washington

by Ruth A. Stewart | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by LilPatoodle of Greenbelt, Maryland USA on 9/3/2005
Journal Entry 1 by LilPatoodle from Greenbelt, Maryland USA on Saturday, September 3, 2005
This book was discarded from a K-8 school library, so I suspect it's intended for older children (maybe 5th grade and up).

Journal Entry 2 by LilPatoodle at Little Free Library #11828 in Greenbelt, Maryland USA on Thursday, September 16, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (9/17/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library #11828 in Greenbelt, Maryland USA

This book sat on my shelf for a long time because I thought it was a children's book.

It's a short, general-interest biography based mostly on the subject's lengthy recollections as told to the author. Some of the language is a bit dated -- copyright date is 1977, and it's based on the memories of someone born in 1883, after all. I know that Booker T. Washington's views, especially the Atlanta compromise, are outdated today, but Portia's story still might provide a jumping-off point for teens and younger adults to study the differences between Black leaders of the early 20th century.