oxygen

by Andrew Miller | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Simmer of Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on 9/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, September 02, 2005
It is the summer of 1997. The year of the comet. Alec Valentine returns to the West County house of his childhood to care for his gravely ill mother, Alice - a task that reinforces his deep sense of inadequacy. In San Francisco, his older brother Larry prepares to visit too, while knowing it will be hard to conceal that his acting career is sliding towards sleaze and his marriage is faltering.

By contrast, Laszlo Lazar, the Hungarian exile whose play Alec is translating, seems to have it all - a comfortable home in Paris, a critical acclaim, a loving boyfriend, a circle of close friends. Yet Laszlo cannot shake off his memories of the 1956 uprising, and the cry for help he left unanswered.

For all four, the moment has come to assess the turnings taken and opportunities foregone, the achievements and the failures, the point of it all. And each will soon face a new challenge, each take part in an act of liberation - though not necessarily the one foreseen.

Journal Entry 2 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, September 02, 2005
I bought this from a cheap bookshop with the intention of releasing it, not sure if I'll be reading myself but I'm sure someone will enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by Simmer at Hawthorne Road, Bootle in Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/28/2006 UTC) at Hawthorne Road, Bootle in Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

Will change according to my travels today, will update later.