Dark Fire

by C.J. Sansom | Romance |
ISBN: 0330411977 Global Overview for this book
Registered by cathepsut of Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 8/31/2005
Journal Entry 1 by cathepsut from Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, August 26, 2006
Synopsis from Amazon:
"It is 1540 and the hottest summer of the sixteenth century. Matthew Shardlake, believing himself out of favour with Thomas Cromwell, is busy trying to maintain his legal practice and keep a low profile. But, his involvement with a murder case, defending a girl accused of brutally murdering her young cousin, brings him once again into contact with the king's chief minister - and a new assignment ...The secret of Greek Fire, the legendary substance with which the Byzantines destroyed the Arab navies, has been lost for centuries. Now, an official of the Court of Augmentations has discovered the formula in the library of a dissolved London monastery. When Shardlake is sent to recover it, he finds the official and his alchemist brother brutally murdered - the formula has disappeared. Now, Shardlake must follow the trail of Greek Fire across Tudor London, while trying at the same time to prove his young client's innocence. But, very soon he discovers nothing is as it seems ... "

Pretty solid historical crime novel. Very atmospheric. Once again, I wonder how anybody ever managed to live in London long enough for it to develop into my favourite city on the planet (so far). The stink and disgusting sights described are yet again priceless. The crime story was sufficiently tricky for me not to guess who-dunnit until the end. Every now and then it got a bit tedious, reading about Shardlake riding from one interview to the next interview to the next interview to the next interview.... Did I mention that he was riding around London a lot? And across it? And along it. And.... you get the picture. I really liked Barak. The next book, Sovereign, is on my wishlist. Mostly, because I have the hots for Barak and want to read, what happens to him next.

8 out of 10, solid stuff with slight occasional tedium.
My book #40 in 2006, first published in 2004; 581 pages; Total pages for 2006: 13,258.

Journal Entry 2 by cathepsut at by snail mail in RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 26, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (8/28/2006 UTC) at by snail mail in RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Left it at home in Germany with my mum at the end of my holiday. She will take it to the post office on Monday, where it will start its trip to the US as a Birthday RABCK. Enjoy, librarymousie!

Journal Entry 3 by librarymousie from Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 01, 2006
Arrived today! Thank you so much, cathepsut, for this book from my wishlist. I hope to start in on it soon.