Random Acts of Kindness: 365 Ways to Make the World a Nicer Place

by Danny Wallace | Humor |
ISBN: 0091901758 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingReetPetitewing of Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 8/26/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 26, 2005
In his bestselling book Join Me, Danny Wallace instructs his legions of followers to perform a Random Act of Kindness every Friday. As a result, his thousands of followers (dubbed the Karma Army), without warning, made people happier the length and breadth of the country. Now in Random Acts of Kindness Danny and the gang bring you a hilarious, well-meaning book to encourage you to perform Random Acts of your own...'Now, at last, the secret to a happier world! You have the power to make it a nicer place! All over the planet, thousands of people just like you are performing Random Acts of Kindness for complete strangers...Buy an old lady a hat! Give a policeman a helium balloon! Pat a dog! Hand a stranger your umbrella! Applaud a lady who's clearly made an effort! This book contains 365 real random acts of kindness real people have done for real strangers...so read it, learn it, and start making your world the nicer place, today!'

Journal Entry 2 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 28, 2005
Going to nice-cup-of-tea.

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Sent in the post to me from ReetPetit as a RABCK, Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
I really enjoyed this book, full of fab suggestions to make the world a nicer and sunnier place! Some really good stories of RACKs to inspire and delight you!

For example:
"Pick up some teas and biscuits for the people you work with"

I will organise a ray for this book in a few weeks' time, and the last bookcrosser can release it into the wild or hand it to a stranger on the street!

Journal Entry 5 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, October 13, 2005
Welcome to my Bookray: Random Acts of Kindness: Danny Wallace
Member / Location (Ray posted Oct 25 2005)

:-) bookmaniac70 / Bulgaria (can ship international)
:-) jennee / Romania
:-) Alvhyttan / Sweden (can ship international)
:-) janiemac75 / Scotland (no pref. stated)
:-) scottishhoosier / Scotland (no pref. stated)
:-) heles7 / UK
:-) chocolatemummy / UK (will ship international)
:-) rudifun23 / UK (will ship europe)
:-) Purplerose73 / UK (will ship international)
:-) KarenZero / US (Pref AMER, will post surface internationally)
:-) Icesong927 / US (Pref AMER)
:-) dg7500 / US (Pref AMER)
:-) snowy652 / USA (Pref AMER)
:-) RedheadRaye / USA (Pref AMER / CANADA)
:-) lauraloo29 / Canada (Pref AMER, will post INT, towards end)
:-) Mamikaem / USA (Will post INT)
:-) lmn60 / Australia
:-) Calissa / Australia (Last on list, wild release, give to stranger, ring it, ray it?)
<-- Book is here!

Small Print
:-) If you wish to be added to the list, please PM me with your details.
:-) You must be prepared to mail internationally.
:-) PM the next person on the list for their address, then send the book.
:-) It's not a race, but please read and send the book within a month, or write a journal to let us know you'll be a little bit longer reading.
:-) Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it!)
:-) This is a bookray, so the last person on the list can keep the book / wild release it / RABCK it / do another ring or ray / the choice is yours!!

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Travel well, little RABCK book :-)
Posted today to Bulgaria and the lovely bookmaniac70 (B Post, 25th Oct 2005)

Journal Entry 7 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Received today.I`m looking forward to get some good ideas!

Journal Entry 8 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, November 17, 2005
I liked very much the whole idea of the book. It is amazing how little it takes sometime to make your life more helpful to others.Some of my favorites are: "Say something nice about someone behing their back", "Forgive someone","If you like someone,make sure they know","Take your glass back to the bar" and etc. It is worth giving a bit of thought how to bring more joy in our lives and the lives of people around us.

Shall be mailing it to jennee when I receive her address.

Journal Entry 9 by bookmaniac70 at by mail in to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 03, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (11/26/2005 UTC) at by mail in to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I forgot to journal that I sent the book to Jennee.

Journal Entry 10 by Jennee on Monday, December 05, 2005
I got the book today in the mail, thank you Milena! I already read half on the bus home, I love the whole idea of this... I also feel pretty good about myself because I already did some of the suggested things :D I'll finish it now (already made myself that cup of tea...), then I'll PM Alvhyttan and send it whenever I get the address.

Edit: and as I was opening the book, Robbie Williams' song Random acts of kindness came on :)

Edit: mailed to Alvhyttan a couple of days ago.

Journal Entry 11 by Alvhyttan from Nora, Västmanland Sweden on Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Got it in my mail today.
Looks like a lovely and fun little book.
Love the card with attached teabag!
I´m going to make myself a nice cup of tea and read.

Journal Entry 12 by Alvhyttan from Nora, Västmanland Sweden on Tuesday, December 20, 2005
It was a nice cup of tea! ;)
And this little book have a lot of suggestions on kind things to do, some I do automatically and some I havn´t thought about before I read this book. A great idé of the author to start this "Karma Army"! Hope it will help to change the world!
And I will try to do the best I can. :)

Thank´s for sharing this book!

I will send it to janiemac75 today.

Journal Entry 13 by janiemac75 on Saturday, December 24, 2005
I received this book today Alvhyttan thank you.
I have a couple of bookrings to read first, but I should be able to read it during the Christmas Holidays.

Journal Entry 14 by ScottishHoosier on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Came with the post this morning. Looks like it shouldn't take long to read, but I'm just over halfway through The Time Traveler's Wife, which is a thick book. It is a bookring book, too, so I'd better finish it first.

It has been nice browsing in the book, and I'm looking forward to the nice cup of tea I'll have later, courtesy of janiemac, and reading the book properly.

Thank you to ReetPetit, nice-cup-of-tea and janiemac75!

Journal Entry 15 by ScottishHoosier on Saturday, January 14, 2006
I have the next address and hope to get it in the mail today.

This was such a quick read and I just zipped right through it. I'm going to note a couple of my favorites here, or ones I'd like to try. Mostly so that I can find them when I need to! :)

-leaving coupons for things you don't need next to the products in a shop, so others can use the coupon
-plant a flower in someone's garden, secretly
-buying the next person in the queue something when at a fastfood joint or some such
-leaving flowers at a nursing home
-leaving 20p in a phonebox
-wish an astronaut good luck at An Astronaut, NASA Headquarters, 300 E St SW, Washington, D.C.
-send old books/magazines to The English Students, LingLing Xue Yuan, Yongzhuo, Hunan, 425000, China
-lay flowers on a bare grave
-leave a little gift outside someone's - anyone's door
-randomly select a gift from an internet wedding list
-send a postcard to: The Lighthouse Keeper, South Solitary Lighthouse, near Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
-hand your BOGOF items to a complete stranger
-visit www.thegooddeeds.com
-send a postcard to a random person chosen from the phonebook
-send a postcard to Any Canadian Soldier, OP HALO (5104), PO Box 5104, Stn Forces, Belleville, ON K8N 5W6, Canada
-hide 50p down someone's sofa

Wow, there were more there than I thought!

You all look gorgeous!

Journal Entry 16 by heles7 from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Received today and I can't wait to get the kettle on, settle down and be inspired.
Edited to add. Sorry folks for holding this up; it's on the way down the list now.

Journal Entry 17 by chocolatemummy from Lewisham, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 30, 2006
Arrived today - thanks for passing around everyone. It looks like a dip in and out book so I shall when my son has his first nap of the day!

Journal Entry 18 by chocolatemummy from Lewisham, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Loved the little book and its top tips for making the world a better place! Have written down my fav on 43things.com and will keep a trasck there of how I do!

Addressed and ready to be posted to the next do-gooder!

Journal Entry 19 by Rudifun23 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 10, 2006
Positive little book, I'm all for spreading a little sunshine but quite a lot of the RAOKs were very very similar. Could have done with a little more editing but I guess if it inspires people, then job done. Thanks for the hot choc btw, has been snaffled by my husband.
On it's way to Purplerose73 ASAP.

Journal Entry 20 by Purplerose73 from Ashford, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Thoroughly enjoyable, great little acts of kindess that could make somebodies day, PMing KarenZero now for next address.

Journal Entry 21 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Saturday, June 03, 2006
Book arrived safely. Will read ASAP. Thanks!

Journal Entry 22 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Monday, June 05, 2006
This was a cute little book! I also have read Are You Dave Gorman? and now I need to read "Join Me" so I can see how this idea started!

My favorite ideas:

- sending the peanuts to the old man
- pub day in honor of a friend
- free box of stuff
- pay for an extra game of bowling for someone
- place a small ad with a compliment to the reader
- giving away books - hooray for bookcrossing!

Thanks for sharing the book ReetPetite & NiceCupofTea!

Journal Entry 23 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Monday, June 12, 2006
Sent on to the next reader!

Journal Entry 24 by Icesong927 from Elizabeth City, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 21, 2006
This was fun thanks for starting this ray. :)

Journal Entry 25 by wingdg7500wing from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, July 10, 2006
Book arrived safely...thanks! I'm in the middle of another book at the moment, and have a jam-packed week ahead, but I hope to get this one started by the weekend. Looks like some great little tips for spreading the good karma onto others...Can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 26 by wingdg7500wing from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, July 10, 2006
OK, OK....I know I said I was already in the middle of another book (more like 3), and I have a hectic week ahead....but I opened up this lovely little book (just to have a quick look, mind you), and now (several hours later, and a few loads of wash shy of finishing my 'to-do list'), I've finished it! Oops...now how did THAT happen?!? ;0)

Lots of great ideas for sharing the good karma...some I'll be using very soon, others I'm not sure I have the nerve for just yet! LOL

I've PM'd snowy652 for her mailing info, and hope to have this moving along w/i the next few days.

Journal Entry 27 by wingdg7500wing at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 17, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (7/17/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Winging it's way over the falls and into Canada.

Journal Entry 28 by snowy652 from Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
arrived in todays mail. This looks like a delightful read. I will comment on it once I have read it and then pass it on to the next reader. Thanks for letting me be part of this ray.

Thank you also to dg7500 for the rabck wishlist surprise book that you sent -- blessings your way!!!

****A quick feel good read. This was an enlightening little book that caused my heart to be happy. Thank you for the opportunity to read this one.

aug 9 ~ pm'd RedheadRaye for address

Journal Entry 29 by snowy652 at By mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 09, 2006

sent to RedheadRaye -- bookray

Journal Entry 30 by snowy652 at By mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (8/9/2006 UTC) at By mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

sent to RedheadRaye -- bookray

Journal Entry 31 by RedheadRaye from Ames, Iowa USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Received as part of a book ray. Thanks for the tea, snowy652!

Journal Entry 32 by RedheadRaye from Ames, Iowa USA on Saturday, August 26, 2006
A fun book, though I couldn't help thinking that a few of the ideas could get one arrested!

Some that I thought I might actually be able to put in practice:

Give a deck of cards to a stranger.
Send a postcard to a stranger
Buy something for the person behind you in the drive-thru.
Leave bottled water at the gym.
Leave a nice note in a library book.
Write a postcard to the postman.
Take flowers to a nursing home.
Buy a snack at a vending machine and leave it there.
Buy phone cards for international students.
Enclose a stamp in a letter.

Anyway, sent this along to the next reader yesterday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 33 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
This arrived safe and sound today. Along with some yummy hot chocolate. I love hazelnut!

This book will be a quick read. Thank you.

Journal Entry 34 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 15, 2006
Certainly some nice ideas in this book. I'm happy to see I already do a few of them. :) This will on its way next week. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 35 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Received this a few days ago. It has made me so happy! I'm looking forward to trying out some of the ideas and am trying to think of a few of my own!

Journal Entry 36 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Monday, October 09, 2006
What an adorable book and wonderful ideas! Some of them had me laughing out loud in public. What a happier world this would be if everyone practiced random acts of kindness!

hshah is currently traveling and asked to be skipped. Catsalive and charliewendy also wish to be skipped. I have PMd the next person in line.

Mailed to lmn60 on 10/27/06.

Journal Entry 37 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Saturday, January 20, 2007
Arrived safely in my letter box yesterday afternoon. I have a couple of rings ahead of it, but this one looks such a slim volume that I'm sure I'll be able to read and pass it on in a timely fashion!

More when I've read this fun looking book!

Journal Entry 38 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Sunday, February 04, 2007
A lovely little book - full of great ideas (some of which I was happy to note I've already done!). I'm now quite intrigued by Danny Wallace and want to find out more about him and the Karma Army.

Thanks for sharing this one with me (and many others) nice-cup-of-tea, in a not-so random act of kindness. I've PMed Calissa for her address and will send it on soon.

Journal Entry 39 by Calissa from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
It never rains, it pours, especially when it comes to bookrings. Which is to say, it arrived safely and will be read after I finish my current book.

A huge thank you to nice-cup-of-tea and especially so for putting me last. If nothing else comes up, I might save this to give away at the Australian Bookcrossing Convention in October. We'll see.

Journal Entry 40 by Calissa from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, February 19, 2007
Well that was a quick read! And a very lovely one too, on a day when I'm not quite feeling myself.

Like the other Bookcrossers here, I am going to make a note of my favourite ones before passing it on. Because I've decided it's a book that needs to be passed on, rather than waiting for the convention. And I have just the person in mind...

Journal Entry 41 by Calissa from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, February 26, 2007
Posted off to libertine101 today, who has this book on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 42 by libertine101 from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, March 08, 2007
Wow...I had NO idea this book had such a history of travel!
Given to me as an RABCK off my wishlist. Thank you, Calissa! :)

I have read Danny's books and have enjoyed them muchly but had no luck in finding a copy of this one anywhere...so I was rather pleased to have it passed onto me! :)

Love the bookmark in the book, too, btw. :)

Journal Entry 43 by libertine101 from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, July 05, 2007
Aww...what a nice book. Found that I have been doing some of these suggestions for some time now...so good ot see I am on teh right track. hehe :)

I was a wee bit cynical about some of the ideas though...esp the food related ones that involved giving food that was not in sealed packages. I guess I'm just paranoid. Is it a sign of the times?

Apart from that, some nice ideas here.

My fave?
DO NOT WEAR FUR!

Right on.

Will pass this book on soon...

Journal Entry 44 by guinevere69 from Willetton, Western Australia Australia on Monday, July 23, 2007
picked up at meetup on Sunday

Released 10 yrs ago (5/24/2008 UTC) at Art Gallery of Western Australia in Northbridge, Western Australia Australia

to be released at the meetup in the Art Gallery cafe

Journal Entry 46 by celestewa from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Monday, May 26, 2008
Picked up at the Perth Meetup at the Art Gallery May 08

Journal Entry 47 by celestewa from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Friday, June 06, 2008
Reserved for Violet Crumble