Blink : The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell | Nonfiction |
Registered by bureaucrat of Arcata, California USA on 8/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by bureaucrat from Arcata, California USA on Monday, August 22, 2005
Aynnnh...It's an ok book. Can't say I got much more out of it than your unconscious works in mysterious ways, and that's what causes us to "think without thinking". I didn't come away with much more understanding of how or why it works that way, or what I could do to tap into the power of the unconscious. Still, it's readable, the case studies are interesting enough, but I'm not gonna hang on to the book forever.

Journal Entry 2 by bureaucrat from Arcata, California USA on Monday, December 05, 2005
Sent on its merry way this beautiful, crystal clear, northern California coastal morning to the sunny climes of Manchester, UK.

Journal Entry 3 by Lisa-B on Tuesday, December 13, 2005
I don't actually have this book in my hand. This is because bureaucrat very kindly send his copy to LyzzyBee to help rescuing the Blink-bookring I had started and which got stalled because the book is lost somewhere between Scotland and England. Thanks a lot to LyzzyBee and to bureaucrat!!!!!

Here is a link to the original bookring:

And here is the list of remaining participants for the bookring:
1. LyzzyBee, UK
7. Lpree, USA
8. dospescados, USA
9. icekween01, USA
10. portable-solace, USA

Journal Entry 4 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Received in Birmingham this morning. Thank you again bureaucrat for saving this ring!

I am going to read this with Matth3w so there will now be a short intermission before we both journal it...

Journal Entry 5 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 25, 2005
His new groundbreaking theory. A bit muddled - we should trust our first impressions, but only if we train them and are an expert, otherwise they're likely to be wrong. And they're likely to be wrong anyway unless we do some other stuff that stops some of the first impressions and lets others through. Brings his usual new terminology coinings and large number of examples (a couple not for the faint-hearted) and interesting, but I don't think it'll have the impact of "Tipping Point". Glad I read it though.

Journal Entry 6 by Matth3w from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 25, 2005
This had all the same hallmarks which made Tipping Point so compelling. An interesting and easy to grasp concept built into a book through the use of engaging and thought provoking examples not all of which seemed that relevant to the main thrust of the book. In my opinion this doesn't matter as the writing style and content would make interesting essays in isolation without trying to bring them together with a common thread.

I'd recommend it to anyone who has more than a passing interest in psychology and a must read to people who enjoyed Tipping Point.

Journal Entry 7 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, December 26, 2005
PM'd Loriped for address to send on to

Journal Entry 8 by LyzzyBee at on Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (12/28/2005 UTC) at

Posting to loriped today.

Journal Entry 9 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Saturday, January 07, 2006
I received this book in the mail yesterday. I will be starting it soon as I am just about finished with my current book.

Journal Entry 10 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Wednesday, February 01, 2006
O.K. I have to admit that there were parts of this book that I just had to skip over. I usually have to read a book from cover to cover even if I have read the darn thing before. However, I made an exception in this case. I can agree with some of the things that the author is saying (or trying to prove), however, there are other points that just seem too far flung. Who knows though! The human brain could be termed as the the "final frontier" for all we actually know about its power and potential. I will be pming the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 11 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Mailed the book off to americanmuse on Tues. Feb 14. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 12 by americanmuse from Jackson, Mississippi USA on Saturday, March 04, 2006
part of bookring I just got it a few weeks back and life's sort of gotten into the way of reading lately. I'm just about to begin reading it.
Thanks

I wish I could blink and read this book, I just can't get enough time to myself to read and don't want to hold things up. I'm gonna send it up and maybe one day I'll get to read it.

Journal Entry 13 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Friday, April 21, 2006
This arrived in today's mail. I have some other rings ahead of this, but will read it as soon as I can. This book sounded so interesting, so I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 14 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, June 06, 2006
I finished this book yesterday. Basically, I agree with bureaucrat's entry. I thought the information presented was pretty interesting, but wish there was more on how I can "think without thinking".

I sent a PM to dospescados this morning, but noticed on her bookshelf that she's in the process of moving as of yesterday. I guess I'll give her a few days in case she checks in, but then will move on to the next person on the list.

Thanks very much for sharing this book! It's not one I would have picked up on my own, but I am glad I read it.

UPDATE - dospescados has asked to be skipped. On to the next person on the list...

Journal Entry 15 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Friday, June 09, 2006
Okay, both dospescados and icekween01 have asked to be skipped. Portable-solace seems to have disappeared given the numerous postings in the last year. Do I still try to PM that person? Is this still a ring or is it now a ray? If it's a ring, who does it go back to?

that's my questions for the day. :)