My Life as a Fake

by Peter Carey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by woosang of Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on 9/9/2005
Journal Entry 1 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 9, 2005
Bought it after I read a review. When I got the book, I was extremele dissappointed at the quality of the book its self. (NOT the story) The pages are all different lengths and the whole book looks like someone bound a bundle of loose pages without straightening them. Shame for a book printed in 2003 so age is no excuse.

Peter Carey's My Life as a Fake is a literate mystery of forgeries and doppelgangers with a fictional manuscript at its heart. The mystery--the origin of a brilliant but purportedly faked poem--fuels a whirlwind pursuit through Australia and across the wilds of Malaysia. Grappling with her own childhood demons, Carey's bibliophile sleuth, Sarah Wode-Douglass, sometimes becomes lost in the exotic and bloody chase.
The novel opens as Sarah, the reluctant tourist and editor of The Modern Review, is dragged by a foppish poet-friend, John Slater, to Kuala Lumpur. Sarah is intent on biding her time in her hotel, but a chance encounter with a scabrous reader of Rilke soon transforms Sarah's plans and, ultimately, her life. The reader, the Australian poet Christopher Chubb, is the disgraced initiator of a great literary hoax--the faked poems of the non-existent Bob McCorkle. The McCorkle hoax was Chubb's attempt to bring down a rising poetry editor, David Weiss. When the hoax was exposed, Weiss was believed to have committed suicide. But, living in exile, Chubb has hidden a secret for decades: Bob McCorkle had seemingly materialized in human form, killing Weiss and destroying Chubb's life. Sarah is tantalized by a fragment of supposed McCorkle poetry that Chubb has shared with her. Whether it is a fake or the work of a madman, Sarah believes it is genius. Her obsession, however, drives her and Chubb to the precipice of self-destruction.

The primary story--Chubb's pursuit of McCorkle--lives in the fictional past, and the plot occasionally becomes muddled in the nest of narrators recalling conversations second or third hand. In playing out the McCorkle affair, Carey’s denouement comes too quickly. If Sarah is transformed, Carey doesn't reveal enough of her in the text. He is mesmerized, as is the reader, by Chubb's horrific tale.

Journal Entry 2 by woosang at BC Brisbane Convention in Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, July 3, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (7/5/2008 UTC) at BC Brisbane Convention in Brisbane, Queensland Australia

At the convention on Saturday

Journal Entry 3 by lmn60 from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Saturday, July 5, 2008
Memo to self... avoid woosang at future conventions.... I mean really... waving a wishlist book around like that!!!

This one is heading back to Melbourne with me for some down time on Mt TBR!

Journal Entry 4 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 6, 2008
******Raspberry********

Journal Entry 5 by lmn60 at Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Sunday, April 28, 2019
I find my reactions to Peter Carey's novels are very variable - some of his works I love (Bliss, Oscar & Lucinda) and others I hate (
The True Story of the Kelly Gang, Illywhacker). This one I was a bit 'meh' about.... Couldn't find myself engaged enough to care about the characters - and while I was looking forward to a Carey 'take' on the Ern Malley story... I just didn't find this one grabbed my attention.

Will release this in hopes that someone will enjoy it more than I did!

Journal Entry 6 by lmn60 at Sun Theatre in Yarraville, Victoria Australia on Sunday, April 28, 2019

Released 3 yrs ago (4/28/2019 UTC) at Sun Theatre in Yarraville, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, lmn60, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!