The Treatment

by Mo Hayder | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Giz-angel of Greenwich, Greater London United Kingdom on 8/20/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Giz-angel from Greenwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 20, 2005
Mo Hayder - am loving your work!

Got this from the Charity shop today to relay.

Amazon says:
4.5 stars
Book Description
The terrifying second novel from the author of the bestselling BIRDMAN.

Synopsis
Midsummer, and in an unassuming house on a quiet residential street on the edge of Brockwell Park in south London, a husband and wife are discovered, imprisoned in their own home. Badly dehydrated, they've been bound and beaten, and the husband is close to death. But worse is to come: their young son is missing. When DI Jack Caffery of the Met's AMIT squad is called in to investigate, the similarities to events in his own past make it impossible for him to view this new crime with the necessary detachment. And as Jack digs deeper, as he attempts to hold his own life together in the face of ever more disturbing revelations about both the past and the present, the real nightmare begins... Horrifying, unforgettable, intense, The Treatment is a novel that touches the raw nerve of our darkest imaginings.

Journal Entry 2 by MissBagpuss from Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 01, 2005
this book lived up to everything i'd heard about it. excellent thriller, and excellent sick shit too! i loved it.

Released 13 yrs ago (1/3/2006 UTC) at To another Bookcrossing member in By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

mailed to three104 as part of bookrelay.com "3 books shy of a load" group for february

Journal Entry 4 by ThreeSixNine from Catawba, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Opened it today - thanks so much!

Journal Entry 5 by ThreeSixNine from Catawba, Wisconsin USA on Friday, March 24, 2006
I somehow ended up with two copies of this. I read the other copy and sent it along, so now I'm going to RABCK this one to Aceofhearts. Via Noumena who is hauling it to Canada for me. Thanks Nou!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 23, 2006
received at the 2006 Toronto Convention. Thanks!! I really wish I could have met all of the previous Journaler's there

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 01, 2007
I stole this from my mom's bookcase so I could read it!
Started reading on the train today.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 07, 2007
The Treatment is essentially the next book in a series of, hopefully, many books following DI Jack Caffery (the first book being Birdman). This time, Jack is out to catch a killer that holds a family up in their house, chained to radiators, as he sodomizes the children in the family. The families aren't given any water, and the females are kept away, being labeled as a "hazard". Unfortunately, this case reminds Caffery of a case he was personally involved in when his brother, Ewan, was abducted as a child, never to be found again. We learned about Penderecki in Birdman, and we learn even more about him in this book.
As much as I enjoy Caffery as a character, I have found that Birdman and The Treatment are Hayder's weaker works. Not that they are bad by any measure. Really, I'm comparing the likes of Pig Island (a 10/10 book for me), and Tokyo (either a 9 or 10/10 book). Hayder is still an awesome author, and these books are great, they just aren't her best. When I read a Hayder, I expect to never see the ending coming. In this book, however, I could figure out who the murderer was and while there were a few surprises, this was a little disappointing. I was also alarmed at how quickly Jack found the name of the murderer after one small little clue. Maybe I didn't understand it correctly, but it seemed that they went through so much, then all the sudden this name pops out of thing air.
I can't remember if I liked Becky (Jack's girlfriend) in the Birdman, but this left me feeling like she was cold. Granted, she had been through a lot. I tried to give her a break but I really couldn't, and found that she wasn't a likable character.
Given how the book ended, there HAS to be another Caffery novel coming out and I'm looking forwards to it!!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 11, 2007
This book is back with me

Journal Entry 10 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 18, 2007
Mo Hayder has always been a favourite author of mine. Her sadistic stories always keep me returning for more.

The Treatment is about a psycho who imprisons families who have a young son and will not be missed. The psycho then proceeds to abuse the young boy and eventually kill him. This psycho is really out there and people with weak stomachs, beware.

This book brings back DI Jack Caffery who we met in The Birdman. Caffery has been through a living hell because his brother was abducted and never seen again.

Caffery is 'too close' to this case and also has a girlfriend who has issues. Their interaction is quite distant and cold but that is probably because of their individual emotional issues.

There are always twists and turns and a little fudging of the procedures. I felt this time Caffery was really given a great deal of leeway,probably too much leeway

When can I read more of Hayder's books?

Journal Entry 11 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 11, 2008
mailed today

Journal Entry 12 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, March 25, 2008
I received this book recently. I am looking forward to reading it. Thank you for sharing.