Eragon

by Christopher Paolini | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0552552097 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingpinkozcatwing of Claremont, Western Australia Australia on 8/19/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Friday, August 19, 2005
This book is the next book-of-the-month for our yahoo book group.

The back cover Blurb:

"When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself.

Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands ..."

Journal Entry 2 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Monday, November 21, 2005
It took me a while to get into this book but eventually I was hooked and began to enjoy it.

I found that it was rather derivitive but, heck, Christopher Paolini was only sixteen when he started writing it.

It has taken a long time but I finished !! :)

Now to read the sequel which runs to almost 700 pages; and there will be a third book in the series - the last.

Journal Entry 3 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, December 04, 2005
Having started a bookring for Eldest I realise that there needs to be one for Eragon so that people can read it first (and the one which I thought was running has closed already)

Participants
Leeny37 - received 9-12-05 - posted 16-1-06
Crystaljade - received 19-1-06 - Posted 15-3-06
Quilted-Elf - received ...

back to pinkozcat

Journal Entry 4 by leeny37 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Thursday, December 08, 2005
YAY, this arrived today! Thanks so much, pinkozcat, for starting bookrings for both Eragon and Eldest, I have been wanting to read both of them for a while! I do have quite a few bookrings with me, but I promise I won't hold this for too long, with the Christmas/New Year break, I expect to significantly cut down the TBR pile! Thanks again and I will share my thoughts when I have finished.

Journal Entry 5 by leeny37 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Friday, January 13, 2006
Ho hum. I'm not quite sure what to think about this book. It is a mighty impressive effort from the author, considering he was only 15/16 when he wrote the book. There was also an incredible amount of detail, so he must have done his research well. However, I thought it was very draggy and I don't think all of that narrative was required. I think it was goodthinkingmax who said in a journal entry for Eldest that Paolini needs a ruthless editor; I agree, and I think that could have also applied here. It felt a bit like my experience with King Kong, where you know Peter Jackson was being indulgent, either letting his scenes run too long, or including ones that do not necessarily add to the story, although it was still a good movie overall. But I digress, oops. I am intrigued enough to continue with the series and I am looking forward to see what happens in Eldest.

Thanks to pinkozcat for sharing this book, I still have Crystaljade's address so it will be heading out to her first thing Monday morning.

Released 13 yrs ago (1/15/2006 UTC) at Post office: Mailed to another bookcrosser in Australia, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Wrapped up and ready to go! This will be heading to Crystaljade via a prepaid Express Post satchel, tracking number: MV2654693.

Journal Entry 7 by Crystaljade from Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, January 18, 2006
I picked it up from the PO today, along with another little book! I've got one other bookring to finish, then I've promised myself I'll read one of the books from my TBR pie, but it won't be long before I'm ready to read this one.

Journal Entry 8 by Crystaljade from Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, February 15, 2006
I enjoyed this book, although I did get annoyed with how many times Eragon ended up unconsious (sp?). It's a wonder the boy didn't end up with brain damage from all those bumps on the head! Usually I would have felt that showed a distinct lack of imagination on the part of the writer, but given his age when he wrote this one it's forgivable. I've got a 15 year old son who likes to write stories, but I can't imagine him sitting down to write a whole novel!

I do agree that a ruthless editor would have helped the story along. Maybe s/he could have suggested other ways to transition from one scene to another, rather than giving poor Eragon another belt over the head! Over all though, it was a pretty good story. Paolini has potential to become an excellent writer.

Journal Entry 9 by Quilted-Elf from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, July 10, 2006
YAY after a couple of months offline I can finally journal and pass on!!!

Eragon... Hmm what to say, this is a fabulous read, gripping and fun!

I agree with most of what everyone has to say about it, there is a need for heavier editing but given the fact it is his first book and his general age, it's quite well done.

It appears to have been well researched, so much so that I would love to find out what basis he used for many of the 'stories' and languages, names etc. they were all unique enough that you felt that they were original but at the same time familiar enough to not create to much friction whilst reading.

Time now I think to send it on it's way again.

Journal Entry 10 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Please would you wild release the book ...

... and please would you make a journal entry when you do so because I don't get notification of a release.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, December 28, 2006
A while back I offered to send you a bookbag to facilitate the return of Eragon and Eldest if you would give me your postal address.

I received no response from the PM so I am trying to contact you via email through this journal entry.

The offer is still open - I'll send you an addressed postbag so that you can return my books to me.

Please inform me of your postal address and I'll get the bag into the mail for you.