Gilead: A Novel

by Marilynne Robinson | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on 8/18/2005
Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Thursday, August 18, 2005
Received via PaperbackSwap.com. This author has been highly recommended to me and her first book, Housekeeping, was personally recommended to me by Silas House, the author of Clay's Quilt, Parchment of Leaves, & The Coal Tatoo.

Publishers Weekly:
Fans of Robinson's acclaimed debut Housekeeping (1981) will find that the long wait has been worth it. From the first page of her second novel, the voice of Rev. John Ames mesmerizes with his account of his life-and that of his father and grandfather. Ames is 77 years old in 1956, in failing health, with a much younger wife and six-year-old son; as a preacher in the small Iowa town where he spent his entire life, he has produced volumes and volumes of sermons and prayers, "[t]rying to say what was true." But it is in this mesmerizing account-in the form of a letter to his young son, who he imagines reading it when he is grown-that his meditations on creation and existence are fully illumined. Ames details the often harsh conditions of perishing Midwestern prairie towns, the Spanish influenza and two world wars. He relates the death of his first wife and child, and his long years alone attempting to live up to the legacy of his fiery grandfather, a man who saw visions of Christ and became a controversial figure in the Kansas abolitionist movement, and his own father's embittered pacifism. During the course of Ames's writing, he is confronted with one of his most difficult and long-simmering crises of personal resentment when John Ames Boughton (his namesake and son of his best friend) returns to his hometown, trailing with him the actions of a callous past and precarious future. In attempting to find a way to comprehend and forgive, Ames finds that he must face a final comprehension of self-as well as the worth of his life's reflections. Robinson's prose is beautiful, shimmering and precise; the revelations are subtle but never muted when they come, and the careful telling carries the breath of suspense. There is no simple redemption here; despite the meditations on faith, even readers with no religious inclinations will be captivated. Many writers try to capture life's universals of strength, struggle, joy and forgiveness-but Robinson truly succeeds in what is destined to become her second classic.

Journal Entry 2 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, December 12, 2005
I've tried several times to get into this book but I just can't seem to. I'm going to pass this one along to Miss-Piggott through an M-bag I am putting together for her.

Journal Entry 3 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Sunday, May 07, 2006
Mailing off in Miss-Piggott's Mbag on Monday May 8, 2006

Journal Entry 4 by Miss-Piggott from Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, July 17, 2006
Thanks alsgal for passing me this novel. Hope I will succeed!
:-p

Journal Entry 5 by Miss-Piggott at Roma, Lazio Italy on Saturday, February 18, 2012
This book and I couldn't really get along. All the talk about religion made my sleepy, so after a few pages I gave up.
I didn't know where to release it, since almost nobody speaks English here, then I realized I had the right place! My office!
The book is currently "living" in the editors' room of Booking.com's Rome office.
They're either native English speakers or Italians with a perfect knowledge of the English language, so I felt like the book had some chances to be read there.
Hope someone picks it up and reads it, sooner or later!