Junk (Puffin Teenage Fiction S.)

by Melvin Burgess | Teens |
Registered by Vickyloo of Barry, Wales United Kingdom on 8/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Vickyloo from Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, August 13, 2005
Read this book as a teenager and really enjoyed it. Then lost it, so had to buy this copy when I saw it in the charity shop. Can't wait to read it again!

From the back of the book:

JUNK = HEROIN = BLISS = DESPAIR = A LOVE AFFAIR YOU'LL NEVER FORGET

Tar loves Gemma, but Gemma doesn't want to be tied down - not to anyone or anything. Gemma wants to fly. But no one can fly for ever. One day, somehow, finally, you have to come down.

Journal Entry 2 by Vickyloo from Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
I was right to love this book as a teenager. Whilst I have certainly outgrown the style, I have not outgrown the story. I find it both honest and intriguing and it left me wanting to know what the future held for the various characters. I also love the first person narration being swapped around the characters (whilst I'm sure other books have done this, this is the first one I have come across and thought the idea was rather novel).

I have to add this to my personal collection so I can read it again one day but I am willing to lend it out. :o)

Journal Entry 3 by Vickyloo from Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 4, 2006
I've decided to use this book to make my first bookring! I will post a list when (fingers crossed!) I get PM's.

Only had two people interested but PM if you want to be included. Here are the people it's off to:

Quez45
Cicakgirl
And back to me!

Journal Entry 4 by Quez45 on Monday, March 27, 2006
Just received this as part of a bookring. I'll start on this one as soon as I'm done with the one I'm currently reading.

Journal Entry 5 by Quez45 on Thursday, April 13, 2006
I'm an idiot. I decided to read this book because I also read "Smack" by Melvin Burgess and I really liked it. Little did I know (until about four chapters into "Junk") that they are the same book!! Oh well...

Off to criminologeek. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by criminologeek on Saturday, April 22, 2006
Caught the book!
Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by criminologeek on Monday, May 29, 2006
Phew! Junk, heroin, cigs, babies, teenage pregnancy, running away from home, etc etc. I love the story. Would have finished reading in one sitting if I did not begin with the book so late at night. I read it until the very next morning without putting it down. I think every teen should give the book a shot. Think twice before running away from home!

Mailing the book back to beaglesangel.

Journal Entry 8 by criminologeek on Saturday, June 10, 2006
Sent the book on Wednesday.
Thanks for sharing the book, Beaglesangel!

Journal Entry 9 by Vickyloo from Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 26, 2006
Arrived home safe and sound! Thanks everyone and glad you enjoyed it!