There's No Toilet Paper on the Road Less Traveled: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure (Travelers' Tales)

by Doug Lansky | Travel |
Registered by GreatBeeper of Livingston, Texas USA on 8/10/2005
Journal Entry 1 by GreatBeeper from Livingston, Texas USA on Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Fun reads for travelers. Not as good a collection as some of the other travel essays put out by Travelers'Tales Guides or some of the other travel literature but fun none the less.

Journal Entry 2 by GreatBeeper at The Depot House Espresso Cafe in Coburg, Oregon USA on Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (8/10/2005 UTC) at The Depot House Espresso Cafe in Coburg, Oregon USA

on the bookshleves. this coffee house is great. It has bookshelves with lots of bookcrossing selections. Have a cup of java, read the paper, browse the shelves or use the internet. Great for RVers, having work done nearby. You can log all your Bookcrossing contributions in a pleasant environment.

Journal Entry 3 by LarkOnapost from Puerto Ayora, Galápagos Ecuador on Friday, August 12, 2005
I hope to finish reading this and send it to London in time for their Bookcrossing Madness...spy novel festivity thingy. Although this book has nothing to do with spies, I think it might enjoy a trip over seas.

Thanks for the nice book. I'll start reading it as soon as I'm finished with Isabel Allende's first novel.

xxoooLark

Journal Entry 4 by GreatBeeper from Livingston, Texas USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Delighted book was picked up so quickly and is headed to London. Depot Expresso in Coburg, OR is a great place to pick up and leave off books---good coffee too, nice folks.

Journal Entry 5 by LarkOnapost from Puerto Ayora, Galápagos Ecuador on Tuesday, August 30, 2005
I did read the Bill Bryson entry. Before sending off to London. The postmaster said that it would take a week. I can only assume that the authorites are going through the copious amount of spy novels in the box, trying to decode a secret message that just isn't there. They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by going to the website, which was written all over the box. Maybe they're testing the beer coasters I included for illicit substances. Maybe they've unstuffed the poor plush ostrich. Maybe, and I like this theory the best, they're reading all 17 books before they deliver them!

Well, at least the Renegades eventually will have some reward for their efforts this past weekend. Too bad it's a bunch of random books from the states. xoxoxlark

Journal Entry 6 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 31, 2005
I can't thank you enough for this huge box of books which were supposed to be involved in the 2005 London Renegades Treasure Hunt. I am so sorry the post took so long and that they won't fulfil their destiny. Please rest assured that I will try to find a brilliant place to release them and/or share them out amongst the Renegades as suitable.

This was such a generous addition, I'm only sorry they didn't make it after all the trouble you went to. Thanks again.

Journal Entry 7 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 07, 2005
I thought this exerpts were absolutely, hysterical. I could relate to way too many of them, being an intrepid traveller myself and I have heard similar 'war stories' from other travellers for some of the others. I intend to follow up on some of the authors I've never heard of or read before as I've enjoyed them so much in these small doses that I'm sure to love their actual books.

Thanks so much for sending this one along. I shall pass it on to someone else who might get a giggle out of it.

Journal Entry 8 by YokoSpungeon from Dunboyne, Co. Meath Ireland on Tuesday, October 11, 2005
What a squeal this book is! I really enjoyed reading it. As vile as the tale was, the bug eating escapade amused me most memorably.

Good listing of *other* travelogue style books at back, too.

Taking along to the Bookcrossing meetup in London tonight to find another reader.

On you go little book. Thanks for sending him my way :)

Journal Entry 9 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 12, 2005
I browsed through this at meetup and couldn't help taking it with me. I'm just under halfway through and it's hilarious. I'm sure I can find other interested parties for this.

Journal Entry 10 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Excellent, mixed-bag of travel writings from all corners of the world. Will ask for more readers on BCUK and will post it to the person furthest away on the forums otherwise. In some ways this calls for wild release at an outdoorsy store, but I want as many people as possible to enjoy it :)

Released 13 yrs ago (11/10/2005 UTC) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Being posted today to another bookcrosser who will love some of the humour in this book - enjoy, Rose! :)

Journal Entry 12 by wingrahar109wing from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, November 11, 2005
Received in the post today.
What a lovely surprise to come home to on a miserable, wet day!
Thank you Esther!

Journal Entry 13 by wingrahar109wing from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Sorry for taking so long to get round to reading this!

An amusing book, with episodes that ranged from the cringe-making (I don't think I would ever, ever be able to make myself eat insects) to the laugh-out-loud.

Thank you Semioticghost for giving me the chance to read this.
Going to pass this on to someone who has this on their wishlist.

Passed to Katie1980 who has this on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 15 by katie1980 from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 15, 2007
Given to me at the meet. Sorry it's taken me so long to journal it :o( I will journal the other ones that I brought home for releasing at some point soon as well - I just keep forgetting to do it when the books and a computer are in the same place as I am, or to write down the BCIDs so I can quickly do it at work. I am a bad monkey :o(

But I've read the introduction and the first story while waiting for my computr to come to life this morning, and it's funny so far! Thanks, Rose.

Journal Entry 16 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2007
Chosen from the oh-so-tempting table full of books at the Uncon yesterday. Looks like it should be a laugh. :)

Journal Entry 17 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 31, 2007
Not as much of a laugh as I had hoped, unfortunately. I did enjoy the idea behind many of the stories (who wouldn't find the idea of a monkey going to the cinema funny?!), but just not the way they were told (if that makes any sense at all). I notice that most of them are excerpted from longer articles/books - maybe that's what contributed to the feeling of "incompleteness" for me.

Journal Entry 18 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 21, 2008
This is going to be a
Bookray

Some brief "rules"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) Don't feel pressurised to read it in a rush (and life gets in the way sometimes!) but if you need to keep hold of the book for longer than say a couple of months, please journal to let us know.
* Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it!
* Surface/economy mail is fine, but please make a note in the JE so the person you're sending to has a rough idea of when to expect it.

Participants
1. dolph1n, Cheshire (UK postage only)
2. WelshHelen, Carmarthenshire (UK postage only)
3. molekilby, Brithdir (Can post anywhere)
4. Plum-Crazy, West Yorkshire (UK postage only)
5. oceanripples, West Yorkshire
6. anglersrest, Devon (Can post anywhere)

Journal Entry 19 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 25, 2008
Heading off on its next round of travels ...

Journal Entry 20 by dolph1n from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 26, 2008
Arrived this morning along with another ring book and following one yeserday. Bookrings are like buses aren't they. Anyway I will read it as soon as possible. I love the picture on the front cover.

Journal Entry 21 by dolph1n from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 17, 2008
Some very funny tales in here, I had a good laugh at most of them. I especially liked "The art of riding on a third world bus". I will pass it on as soon as I have the address.

Journal Entry 22 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, February 22, 2008
Arrived safely yesterday - thanks dolph1n. I'll add it to my ring pile but will probably sneak a read of a story or two pretty soon :-)

Journal Entry 23 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 01, 2008
I must admit, I was very disappointed in this book. I obviously wasn't in the right frame of mind to read it because some of them struck me as being slightly xenophobic and only a handful (Bill Bryson's, the cruise eg) raised a laugh. I agree with others who said that the whole thing was so disjointed because they were extracts - maybe reading some of these books in their entirity would be more enjoyable.

I've requested molekilby's address and will send on to him asap. Thank you very much for sharing, dododumpling :-)

Update: Posted to molekilby 02/04/08

Journal Entry 24 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, April 04, 2008
Arrived today and looking forward to reading it. Thanks to dododumpling for sharing and WelshHelen for sending.

Journal Entry 25 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Like many other readers I found some very funny, others agreeably amusing. To be fair though the introduction does warn you of this. Many different aspects of travelling and I particularly liked the Revenge Juice.

Will move on at the weekend.

Journal Entry 26 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 26, 2008
This arrived this morning in a very creative wrapper :o)
I've got a book to finish so I'm hoping to start this in the next week or so.

Journal Entry 27 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Well this book was a quick read!

I didn't find the tales as funny as I had expected/hoped, though Bill Bryson can always be relied on to be amusing. The little "extras" that were at the end of each chapter & slotted in here & there, & the cartoons made me smile :o)

On the whole an enjoyable read...thanks dododumpling for sharing it. It will be on it's way to oceanripples shortly.

Journal Entry 28 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 01, 2008
Posted to oceanripples today.

2008 KEEP THEM MOVING CHALLENGE (#31)

Journal Entry 29 by starchilli on Saturday, May 03, 2008
A surprise delivery this morning (as I'd forgotten about it!) and a very welcome one at that, this kind of book is right up my street.
I've loved the supplies inside as well, they will travel on with the book :) I wish I was last in this ray because I could pass it on to my Dad to release in NZ this autumn as he is also a book crosser.
If "goodlad" could be added to the end of this book ray please then perhaps I could pass the book on to them after "anglersrest" has read it?
I'll be starting this book very soon. Thanky ou for sending it plumcrazy and thank to the numerous book crossers who have already read it for sharing it.

Journal Entry 30 by starchilli on Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Unexpectedly I struggled to get into this book but I am glad that I have read it so thanks for sharing, I'll PM anglersrest for the address to send it to.
I think my Dad will really enjoy it though.

Journal Entry 31 by starchilli on Thursday, June 19, 2008
Ready for posting, I just haven't been organised enough recently, sorry. Will get it in the post ASAP.