Bitch : In Praise of Difficult Women

by Elizabeth Wurtzel | Nonfiction |
Registered by icekween01 of St. Louis, Missouri USA on 8/4/2005
Journal Entry 1 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Thursday, August 04, 2005
from Amazon.com:

In BITCH, author Elizabeth Wurtzel explores a variety of "badly behaved" women, including: the seemingly treacherous Old Testament femme fatale, Delilah; suicidal genius Sylvia Plath; "Long Island Lolita" Amy Fisher; and bawdy girl-rocker Courtney Love, just to name a few. Wurtzel ponders what these women must have been thinking (or *do* think, for those few women that are still alive), why they acted the way they did (or *do*), and how society has reacted to and interpreted their indecorous behavior.

============================================================

I enjoyed this book even though it was sometimes hard to follow. Apparently it was written in a "speedy Kerouacesque drug binge". It shows, as it's not especially fluid and tends to go all over the place. It was still a very interesting essay and I'm glad to have read it. I'm a big fan of Wurtzel despite her being extremely opinionated and sometimes off the mark. She's entertaining and obviously very smart even if you don't agree with her.

Released 13 yrs ago (2/22/2006 UTC) at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet in St. Louis, Missouri USA

sent to Aisling78 to start the ray

laura0141 - Scotland/Intl
Beaglesangel - UK/Intl
darkpunkangel - Canada *book here

ENJOY!

Peace and Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by Aisling78 from Essex, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, March 14, 2006
I came home from work (after an incredibly bad day, I might add!) to find this book waiting for me. I have one book ahead of it, but I should be able to begin reading this book this weekend. Thanks, icekween01, for including me in this book ray.

Journal Entry 4 by Aisling78 from Essex, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, April 01, 2006
Wow. Some of what Wurtzel wrote I wanted to pump my fist in the air and cheer...and some of it, I just kind of cocked my head and said, "What!??!?!" and had to reread several times. I did skip over passages that didn't interest me as much as others (for example, the chapter He Puts her on a Pedestal and She Goes Down on It, Wurtzel writes mainly about the biblical story of Samson and Delilah. this was facinating, at first, but as the chapter went on and the same points were made over and over, I began to skim rather than truly read.
Don't get me wrong, on the whole I enjoyed this book. I just had difficulty staying engaged throught he entire essay due to her stream of conciousness writing style. Thanks, icekween01, for sharing this book with us. I'll pm the next in line and send it off to complete it's journey.

Journal Entry 5 by karikitten from Atenas, Alajuela Costa Rica on Monday, April 17, 2006
Apologies, I've had the book for a week or two now, just kept forgetting to journal it... Am trying to read it, but if I don't get more "into" it I may just go ahead and send it back out... Will be PM'ing the next person on the list within the next 2-3 weeks I guess...

Journal Entry 6 by karikitten from Atenas, Alajuela Costa Rica on Thursday, May 25, 2006
Sorry once again, I've had the book too long and I'm only in the middle, so I'm giving up on it and shipping it out to the next person. Hopefully will have it to the post office in the next few days...

Journal Entry 7 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Saturday, June 10, 2006
Got this in the mail yesterday! thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Thursday, June 15, 2006
Wow! What a "heavy" book. It reminds me of some of the books that I had to read in college. Very interesting and I had heard many of these ideas before, but the author gives lots of examples. I read bits and pieces. This is the kind of book that I would have a hard time reading cover to cover without breaks. There is so much to absorb. I may get a copy later and read a bit at a time with no hurry. Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I liked a lot of what the author had to say!

Journal Entry 9 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Caught!!! I will be able to start it soon. Thank You!!!

Journal Entry 10 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Tuesday, September 12, 2006
First, I would like to apologize for holding on to this book past a month. I went away on vacation and my reading got put on hold. Also, this book is what I call a "slow book." By "Slow Book", I mean that it took me longer to read. I am normally a very fast reader. This book is not the type that lends itself to fast reading. It needs to be read slowly and the content needs to be absorbed and pondered. I needed to take my time with it.

I did enjoy it. Wurtzel had me thinking about various things in different ways. I now look at Nicole SImpson is a totally different light. I also found interesting the subtle anti-women messages hidden in our pop-culture. Things that seem so innocent can be very damaging. It's also amazing how we have certain ideas or expectations about sex roles and women, that are so completely ingrained in our culture. I found the book to be thought provoking on many levels.

I will be mailing this off to Greece tomorrow. A big Thank You to Icekween01 for sharing!!!

Journal Entry 11 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Arrived in my p o box today. Thanks icekween01 for adding me to the bookray list, and Karenlea for mailing the book to me.

This is the second time I'll be reading Bitch. The first read was at times exhausting, so this time round I'm going to take it easy. Maybe I'll even change my mind about some of my earlier conclusions!

Journal Entry 12 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Friday, October 27, 2006
I wrote extensive comments about Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women the first time I read it in another bookring.
Wortzel has a lot to say, and it takes some time digesting it all. I'm still pondering on what defines female 'bitchiness' (or whatever you want to call it).
This time round I focused on Wortzel's analysis of the Amy Fisher case. I recently read I Was a Teenage Dominatrix by Shawna Kenney. My personal reaction to Kenney's autobiography reminded me of Wortzel's views of Fisher's experiences as a teenage hooker. I thought I might be too critical on Kenney, but after reading Bitch again, I presume that Wortzel would have a field day saying a lot more (about Kenney) if she wanted to!

On its way to concertina8 in Vienna.

Journal Entry 13 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Wednesday, November 01, 2006
received via snail mail. i am in the middle (literally) of a book right now, but will try to get to this asap.

thx for sharing/sending.

Journal Entry 14 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Thursday, November 30, 2006
sorry, i can't read this. i don't like the writing style of elizabeth wurtzel and from what i HAVE read, i don't think i would like her very much, either. we simply don't click.

for me, the writing is too confusing and confused. it seems to head off in all kinds of directions without making much of a point. just a lot of rambling (and praising, sure).

i contacted laura0141 and Beaglesangel. they both asked to be skipped. so, i will send this on to darkpunkangel, shortly.

Journal Entry 15 by concertina8 at N/A in ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (12/5/2006 UTC) at N/A in ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

off to canada

Journal Entry 16 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Arrived today. Since I'm last on this bookray, I won't start it right away.