The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Shimmy-crazy of Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on 8/4/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, August 04, 2005
From the back
'This extraordinary, magical novel is the story of Clare and Henry who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. His disappearances are spontaneous and his experiences are alternately harrowing and amusing. The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and Clare's passionate love for each other with grace and humour. Their struggle to lead normal lives in the face of a force they can neither prevent nor control is intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.'
I loved this book although slightly out of the ordinary it is just a very moving love story. In the begining the excitment of the time travelling, wondering where Henry will go/appear next keeps you reading then its the intense relationship between Henry and Clare. I really enjoyed it all the way through although found the ending pritty harrowing.

Journal Entry 2 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, August 05, 2005
This ones going to be my first bookray, here's the list

1. Cloggy (UK)
10. mjm (US)
11. Breeze144 (Canada)
12. TeenieBeanie (Canada)

Bookray rules
When you recieve the book make a quick journal entry to say it arrived and PM the next person on the list for there address.
Read in 3-4 weeks and forward to the next person on the list
Make another journal entry saying what you thought. This can be as long or as short as you like.

Hope you all enjoy it

Journal Entry 3 by cloggy from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 16, 2005
It's arrived. That's so quick. Thanks Shimmy-crazy.

Finished it. This is an absolutely wonderful novel. Had my crying at the end, both from the narrative and the fact that I had to stop reading it.

The highs and lows of a relationship are eloquently described against the background, or is that foreground, of Henry's time travelling. The twist Niffenegger gives to the idea of time travelling, it is a genetic disorder that Henry cannot control, makes this utterly believable and therefore even more touching. Beautiful, beautiful.

Sent a message to Simmer, once she replies to me, it can go on its way

Cloggy

Journal Entry 4 by cloggy from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Sent it off to Simmer this morning.

Journal Entry 5 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Thursday, September 01, 2005
I received this book in the post this morning, can't wait to get started. Thanks very much to Cloggy and to Shimmy-crazy for sharing. :)

Journal Entry 6 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 21, 2005
This was a very good read, it's not the type of book I would usually go for but wanted to be added to the ring after hearing great things about the book!

At the very start, I was completely confused and didn't think I was going to 'get' the story at all, but after a few chapters it all starts to make sense. I couldn't wait to find out where Henry would be in time next, and how Clare would fit into it. Like Shimmy-crazy though, I was soon more interested in their relationship than the time-travelling! The highs and lows of their love are very interesting and realistic - there were moments when both of the main characters annoyed me (although not that often!), but I think that just goes to show how believable they are.

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil anything. But I will say, as soon as you wonder how the story is going to carry on for so long, the author finds a new way to surprise you and keep you interested.

Hope everybody else enjoys it as much as I did!

Have already got Beaglesangle's address so will be posting on Friday (23rd).