Neverwhere

by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 8/4/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, August 04, 2005
Bought at "Kunst & Krempel", Caritas Zürich, Birmensdorferstr. 53, 8004 Zürich (opp. Bahnhof Wiedikon)
This is a great source, and there seems to be quite a quick turnover!
All books are CHF 3 - in German, English & some French & Italian.
Click here for map

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, August 29, 2005
Wow, a 9 star book and an author who nearly rivals my god, Douglas Adams! I had recently read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett and really enjoyed it, and so wanted to read more Gaiman stuff. This book seemed to combine Douglas Adams sense of humour and quirky style of writing, with Jasper Fforde's skill at creating a world which seems very similar and yet very very different to ours, along with Philip Pulman's idea of a female character who can create doors or gateways between parallel universes. The plot canters along at a nice speed, and the book challenges you to question the London you thought you knew. You'll never travel on the underground in the same way again! I loved the bit about "mind the gap"!!

Favourite quote? Our reluctant hero Richard Mayhew suddenly finds himself having to undergo the ordeal of the key, as set by the monks....p.184

"The Abbot raised his blind head, sniffed the air, smiled. 'The first part of the Ordeal of the Key,' he said, 'is the nice cup of tea. Do you take sugar?'
'No, thank you,' said Richard, warily. [...]
Richard sipped the tea, which tasted more or less exactly like tea. 'But this is part of the ordeal?'
'In a matter of speaking. We always like to give the seekers a cup of tea before they start. Part of the ordeal for us. Not for you.' The Abbot sipped his own tea, and a beatific smile spread across his ancient face. 'Rather nice tea, all things considered.'"

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, November 03, 2005
Sent Mon 31st October (B Post) to Qantaqa

Journal Entry 4 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Monday, November 07, 2005
Thanks for lending this to me, nice-cup-of-tea! I'll try to be quick - I just need to finish a few ring books first!

Journal Entry 5 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, December 30, 2008
I'm horribly sorry for keeping this book for so long. Even though it stood quite visibly on my book shelf for all this time, I somehow completely forgot about it... I can't believe it's been more than three years :( - and then, I've not even read it!
The book will travel back home tomorrow. Thanks again for lending it to me!

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, January 25, 2009
Arrived home safely, thanks Qantaqa!

Journal Entry 7 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, February 01, 2009
Still as good, just had to read this again!