French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour De France

by Tim Moore | Travel |
Registered by ermintrude75 of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 8/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 02, 2005
Amazon: Comic writer Tim Moore trades his ailing Rolls Royce for a bicycle, a map and a water bottle in French Revolutions. This is a quest to pedal the route of the Tour de France, no mean feat for the fit, let alone a self-described suburban slouch. The resulting 2,256-haphazard-mile journey transforms Moore into an incredibly fit and passionately proud cyclist.

Having enjoyed other Tim Moore books, I thought I'd give this one a try, even though I am a cyclist of the "trundling commuter" variety and not a finely honed racing machine.

Journal Entry 2 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2006
This lives up to Moore's other efforts, and reminds me very much of It's Not About The Tapas by Polly Evans. His efforts to not only get fit enough to cycle (most of) the Tour route, but even to find out about the route for the year in question and find places to stay along it, are quite phenomenal, but told with the same humour as found in Do Not Pass Go. I thought it would be a jokey half-hearted attempt, but he does do some damn serious cycling, and his story is truly astonishing. He may sart off as a bloke ona bike, but he certainly ends as a cyclist. Information about the Tour's history and some of the characters who have participated in the past rounds things out nicely (occasionally too much information on some of the body's necessary functions, but there you go...)