Gladys Reunited: A Personal American Journey

by Sandi Toksvig | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by ermintrude75 of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 8/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 02, 2005
Sandi Toksvig goes back to the USA to meet members of her school drama group (who all played Gladys in a particular play - hence the title).

I'm a fan of Sandi Toksvig on TV and radio, and greatly enjoyed Whistling for the Elephants, so I had to nab this one when I saw it in a charity shop.

Journal Entry 2 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Another great book from Sandi Toksvig. Just the right mix of humour (some poked at Americans, some at Brits, most at herself), autobiography and reflection. It was interesting to find out more about her background, having seen her on TV and heard her on the radio so often, and she travels in just the way I would imagine her to - slightly chaotically but with great interest in the people she meets and the places she visits, and a keen eye for the absurd. The Gladyses are an interesting mix given their shared origins, and the varying degrees of connection that Sandi feels with them certainly stop the book being repetitive or predictable.

Highly recommended!