Beneath The Moors and Darker Places

by Brian Lumley | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 01, 2005
I've enjoyed some of Lumley's short stories from other collections - and it's hard to resist a cover with a nice grisly skull on it! - so when this collection turned up on the bargain rack I decided to give it a try...

Later: Several of the stories here have Lovecraftian aspects, some of them quite obvious (Lumley's written stories about the Cthulhu Mythos before) and some just... creepy {grin}. "Dagon's Bell" is one of the obviously-Lovecraftian, and works quite well. "The Sun, the Sea, and the Silent Scream" has a bizarre infestation that could be Lovecraftian but doesn't have to be; most of the suspense has more to do with feeling alone in a foreign land, and will certainly inspire a lot of people to take water filters on their next vacation!

"A Thing About Cars" is a nice old-fashioned horror story about the hazards of out-of-the-way houses and of people who've been alone way too long.

"The Fairground Horror" and "Beneath the Moors" revisit the Mythos again, in different ways; not my favorites of the collection but decent creep-fests.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, September 24, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/24/2009 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book into Laevina's Fantasy/SF/Horror book box (see the forum post for the mailing order). The box will be on its way to BCer Oldbroad in Washington later today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Sunday, November 01, 2009
This was in Laevina's Fantasy/SF/Horror book box. I will put this book in my tbr pile and after I have read it, I will make another journal entry.